13. Returned

The previous night swam through Lark's head as she packed a large canvas bag with her belongings. After their kiss, August escorted her to the castle entrance and she had returned home. He had rested his hand affectionately on her waist as they crossed the drawbridge together with her mare close behind. As he lifted her effortlessly into the saddle he had kissed her so lightly on the forehead that she could hardly feel it. Her visit had been exhausting but as she returned home she found herself unable to sleep. By the time she finally drifted off the sun had nearly risen. Now that she had awoken, it was time for her to embark on her journey.

August had sent word to her employers and she met them in the dining room with their children to say her farewells. The girls clung to her skirt and whined for her to stay, but their mother gently brought them to her side.

"We will miss you," their mother said with a smile. "You have done very well here. We hope your next endeavor is successful."

Lark bowed her head humbly.

"Thank you, my lady," she replied. "It has been my honor to have this opportunity. I would be happy to visit once I am available, if it pleases you."

The girls nodded and exclaimed eagerly and insistently until their father relented.

"Of course," he said warmly. "You are welcome any time. Best of luck."

Lark gave a final curtsy and stepped into the sunlight where her horse was waiting. King circled overhead and as Lark hopped into her saddle the black bird dropped from the sky and landed in her shoulder. Together they made their way down the sunny road to the castle feeling both excited and contended. When they arrived, King lifted back into the deep blue sky and landed neatly in a tall oak tree. As the bridge lowered and she trotted into the castle courtyard, the bird watched inquisitively. It seemed he understood that she would no longer be present at the distant farm.

In the following weeks he would visit his old home occasionally but she was never there. He soon moved into the courtyard permanently to bring Lark gifts and sit with her when she was embroidering in the garden.

As she dismounted, Lark was greeted by a familiar guard. He took her horse to the stable and she entered the main hall alone, her heart beating so fast she could hear it surging in her ears. No one was waiting in the vestibule, so she made her way quietly to the harem hall, where some of the girls were playing a card game. She hesitated at the doors, worried how they might react. After a moment she decided to calm herself before meeting them and snuck into the courtyard. She sat herself on a bench in a secluded part of the garden and breathed deeply. She was more anxious than she had expected. She knew it was unlikely that August would meet her as he slept until sunset but she was still disappointed. Their kiss still lingered in her mind so she was happy for the distraction when King dropped from the sky and hopped up to her with a gift held in his beak. It was a small pinecone. Lark held out a hand and he rested it gently on her palm. Smiling, she scratched him affectionately on the forehead and thanked him. But all of the sudden a voice rang out, startling the raven back into the sky.

"Lark?" Lark clasped a hand to her chest, surprised by the sudden exclamation. But she recognized the voice. It was Ariane. She had been tending her flowers, clothed in loose muslin tunic. Her hair was hastily pinned up and she wore no jewelry but she was prettier than ever. Despite her beautiful gown Lark felt overshadowed. Yet she was still happy to see her former friend. She rose to her feet and bowed her head.

"Ariane," she replied. "It's lovely to see you again." Ariane rushed towards her, tossing her empty watering can onto the grass. She gathered Lark up in an enthusiastic hug.

"They never told us where you went," Ariane said breathlessly. "But I hoped you would return." Her smile was dazzling and Lark lowered her head in embarrassment.