18. Jealousy

They reached the castle and dismounted within the hour. Sara seemed nervous but excited. Her eyes were wide as she tried to absorb every detail of her new home. To any newcomer the high stone walls and grand doors were intimidating but Sara seemed more curious than scared. She followed Lark through the winding corridors to August's dark wing. They entered Lark's chamber together and Lark brought her to her small library.

"You will sleep here," she explained. "We will remove the books and move the shelves to the sitting room."

Sara smiled so brightly that Lark couldn't help but smile in return.

"My own room?" Sara asked.

"Of course. This will be yours. My room is right next door. Would you like to sign your contract before you get settled?"

Sara nodded and Lark led her to the desk in the sitting room. Bernard had drafted a simple contract. It dictated simply that Sara was forbidden to discuss personal affairs within the castle, that her contract would be renewable yearly, and what her expected wage was. Though it was a modest wage it would be supplemented with clothing, food, and her room. It was still far more money than Sara had ever received since she began working as a young teenager. Her eyes shone with tears of relief as she signed the document. She hadn't felt secure since her parents had vanished. Though she had one living relative, her brother, he was estranged from the family. He had come back to the village to claim their farm when they disappeared and Sara had been forced out of her home. For weeks she had relied on the charity of her neighbors to have food and shelter. Now she could determine her own future.

Lark signed her name as well and folded the document. She sent it to Bernard in the hands of a trusted guard and invited Sara to join her for the dinner that had been brought while they were still riding back to the castle. They ate together quietly. Both women seemed unsure of where to begin. As Lark sliced into the small chocolate cake that had been sent for them Sara found the courage to speak.

"What will be my exact duties, ma'am?" she asked softly. Lark smiled.

"Please call me Lark. Your duties are simple. I was in need of a companion. And here you are."

Sara's eyes darted around the room suspiciously. She felt as if Bernard would appear from the shadows to tell her that she would be scrubbing the floors. It could not be as easy as simple companionship. Lark stifled a laugh, her body relaxing.

"Are there not other humans here?" Sara asked. Why would this high status pet be seeking such a common human for a companion?

"There is the harem," Lark explained. "But unfortunately we are not on good terms. I am isolated in this wing. And I only recently returned from spending time in the village. I worked for the Demmer family as a governess." Sara's eyes lit up in recognition.

"I know that family! My father used to trade with Mr. Demmer. There is a patch of dandelion and clover beside their property. I used to visit to harvest it. I didn't know they had a governess."

"I was not there long. As you can see I had second thoughts."

"Why did you come back?" Sara asked. Surprised by her own boldness she covered her mouth with her hand. But Lark waved away her anxiety.

"I'm happy to explain. I felt trapped here. I was chosen at birth to be our Lord's pet. I had no choice but to escape. But I failed. Once I arrived I poured myself into a new plan to escape. But instead I was released willingly by our Lord. It was only after leaving that I found I wanted to continue my education and did not desire a provincial or mundane life. I had grown fond of the castle. Our Lord is kind and generous. And I can study to my heart's content. If it weren't for the betrayal felt by the other pets here I would be very content."