28. Just a Dance

Lark gazed up at Devroe questioningly. She heard August's voice in her head.

It is his responsibility to choose his prey carefully.

She returned his smile serenely and curtsied her acceptance, reaching for his hand without hesitation. The pair crossed the hall and approached the couples already spinning on the marble floor. As they walked Devroe seemed as unruffled and confident as ever. Some guests whispered among themselves as they passed. Devroe was known to be harsh and domineering with women. He seemed docile now but some of the human women present were keenly aware of his ferocity. As he strode past one woman she raised her hand unconsciously to the scar on her neck from their last encounter and shuddered. He was still a young and animalistic vampire. Many of his victims had to be rescued by Devroe's harem women, all of whom bore the signs of his savagery. The meek woman covering her scar watched him with an icy hatred. The damage had been partially healed but often ached. A doctor told her it may never heal completely. He seemed so different now than he was that violent night. Here he was, unchanged, escorting a lady politely to the dance floor with a gentle amusement lighting up his face. She felt a strong desire to spit at his feet. His once magnetic confidence and quiet strength now seemed disgusting, hiding the true monster beneath his human-like appearance.

Lark meanwhile sought August out in the crowded hall. He sat in a shadowy corner surrounded by other lords and spoke in hurried, hushed tones. As she willed him to look at her his eyes fixed on hers and he saw her on Devroe's arm. She saw a flash of anger contort his features but he nodded firmly before returning to his discussion. Relieved to have his consent, Lark allowed herself to be maneuvered around the room at a dizzying pace. This was a dance she had practiced many times but never with a dancer as skilled as Devroe. He must have spent much time in court.

Though he was eager to maintain contact with her, Lark maintained a respectable distance, only occasionally meeting his eyes. His frustration was clearly building as his fluid movements became more aggressive. Many other dancers watched them as they made an impressive pair with Lark effortlessly matching his vigor but not making eye contact. As the music swelled Devroe spun her away and then back towards him, pulling her close to his chest. Too close. She looked up at him indignantly and he smiled calmly down at her. But his eyes were blazing dangerously. As his lips parted she could see his canines elongating into sharp daggers. She maintained her composure, hiding the fear gripping her heart. He appeared to be slightly irritated by her lack of reaction but as he opened his mouth to speak to her a familiar voice rose over the music.

"May I?"

It was August, his eyes fixed carefully on Devroe. The younger vampire withdrew, bowing to them both.

"Certainly. It was a pleasure, Lark."

She took August's arm as the first song ended and a new one began. As they paced to the center of the floor she peeked over August's shoulder to see Devroe glowering at them. His eyes were deep and threatening. He caught her looking and smirked before disappearing into the mass of bodies.

"Are you okay?" August whispered to her, drawing her close. She nodded.

"Yes, my Lord," she replied. "It was only a dance."

August did not seem convinced. He seemed to be searching for Devroe in the room with his eyes but could not find him. His thoughts were dark. He regretted having to leave Lark alone even for a few minutes. There were still difficulties in the former territory of Hygate. Some of Lord Whitlock's former allies had been trying to reclaim the unguarded towns at the border. August had been trying to negotiate an agreement to send soldiers from an adjacent territory to guard it. Their Lord, Trenpell, was amenable to the proposal but designating which men to send had caused a confrontation with his present council. Seeing Lark in Devroe's arms was upsetting but the safety of the newly expanded kingdom took precedent. At least they were exposed where he couldn't attack her openly. August felt much less anxious now that he had returned to her side. He would not be led astray again.