17. Handmaid

Lark had not slept much during the night. She had heard noises all around her every time she closed her eyes. She knew these sounds were imaginary but could not dispel her anxiety. When the sun finally began to rise she felt a relief wash over her. She knew she would soon have to meet Bernard for her lessons but with golden light filling her chamber she could no longer fight off her exhaustion. She finally slept. Though a guard came to collect her for her lessons she refused. She was unable to drag herself from her bed and he left her there and went to inform Bernard. Her teacher let her sleep and when she finally stirred that afternoon and ate a meal she was finally able to complete her lesson.

Bernard had scolded her but gently. He could see that there was something bothering her. She was more alert than usual and even though they were alone in his office she seemed to be searching for something. He didn't address it but sent a note to August. He knew the Lord would be disappointed if he returned to find her in distress. August had sent him a brief letter about the progress of their mission. It explained that they had been successful in crossing the border into Hygate and were now preparing a small team of soldiers to breach the castle where the humans were being imprisoned. August would be among them. Bernard had never approved of his Lord's desire to participate so intimately in this type of excursion. He was always at risk and had not named an heir. Despite their immortality vampires often died in battle and on enemy territory he was at risk of being captured and executed. Bernard tried to focus on writing lessons but found himself distracted. He left his desk to stroll around the courtyard and clear his head. Hopefully August would contact him soon.

Lark had left his office after her lessons to find a distraction of her own but found herself aimlessly wandering the halls of the castle instead. She had not received any correspondence from August since he had left for Hygate and knew it would probably be some time before his return. She was desperate for a confidant but knew there was no one within the castle she could trust. She passed the harem absently and glanced into the hall. The girls were all lounging in the pool together, wet hair piled up on top of their heads as fragrant steam spiraled up from the hot water. Rose petals floated on the water's surface and spiraled around their bodies. But something else caught Lark's attention. Lady Ferra was present in the hall. She was not bathing but lounging on a cushion at the edge of the pool. She was leaning forward, her mouth pressed sensually against Rose's neck. She pulled away to reveal two puncture wounds that dripped blood down Rose's neck where it flowed over her collarbone and down her chest into the pool. The women were all laughing and smiling as Ferra whispered to them.

Lark withdrew from the doors. She felt as though she was not supposed to see the scene unfolding in the harem. She was still not assured of all of the harem rules. She hadn't been among them long enough. She raced down the hallway towards the courtyard and burst into the fading sunlight. As she caught her breath King spiralled from a nearby tree and landed in front of her with a coin in his beak. He laid it at her feet as she leaned down to greet him. He hopped onto her outstretched arm and fluffed his feathers enthusiastically. She was comforted by his presence as she tucked the coin into her gown. He allowed her to ruffle his feathers as they walked together through the flowerbeds. Ariane had stepped out to tend them but as she caught sight of Lark she darted back inside, holding her robe shut around her damp body. Lark sighed and turned back to the main hall to embroider until dinner. She felt so out of place. As she entered August's wing and then her own chambers she considered writing August herself. She sat down at her desk and scribbled a note on a small piece of parchment.

My Lord, I find myself lonely. Could I be afforded a companion? I hope you are well.

Lark

She hadn't been willing to interrupt his mission but her mental state was suffering. Though she had enjoyed the company of Lady Ferra she seemed to be closer to the rest of the harem and could be used to ensure her destruction. She knew better than to trust anyone in the castle. Luckily for her, August's response was swift. The following day she received his reply.