24. Warning

The following day Lark attended her lessons with Sara at her side and tried not to dwell on the previous night's intimate act. But still her body felt warm and tingly and she seemed to dance around the castle with a lighter step than before. Sara tried to ask about what had happened but Lark was not prepared to share the experience yet. She wanted to hold it close to her and keep the secret as long as she could. It felt exciting and new like when she was young, hiding a misdeed from the orphanage matriarch. Bernard had easily distracted Sara with his aura of gentle masculinity. Having seen Sara's longing for him, Lark felt like she was seeing him for the first time.

As they practiced a complicated folk dance his movements were graceful and confident. Despite the vigor of the steps his chestnut hair remained carefully slicked back away from his face and his elegant suit barely creased. His stern expression had become endearing as Lark could see the true emotions hidden underneath. His hooded gray eyes and bold brows betrayed his true feelings and every subtle smile was radiant. She could see why Sara was so taken with him. As they finished the dance with a bow and curtsy, Lark sighed heavily.

"I am no match for you," she whined to Bernard. "Allow Sara to practice with you while I recover."

Sara, who had been quietly reading a book on plants, seemed startled at the suggestion.

"Oh I couldn't-" she started to say. But Bernard strode up to her without hesitation.

"Very well," he responded. He offered Sara his hand and she stared at it for a long moment. His large hands were slender with long, tapered fingers and the nails perfectly maintained. As she placed her hand in his she took a sharp breath and furtively glared in Lark's direction. Lark grinned wickedly in return. Though she held a book in her hands, Sara had been transfixed by Bernard for the entire lesson. She would only glance away from his slender figure when his body turned towards her. His height would normally be intimidating but the poise with which he held himself made him seem untouchable for an entirely different reason.

"Can you waltz?" he asked Sara. His voice seemed to have deepened slightly as he spoke to her but his expression was unreadable. Lark rolled her eyes happily. She could see the tension in his steps as he led Sara to the dance floor. His feelings for her were obvious. Sara shrugged but nodded.

"I have practiced with Lark," she replied. Bernard raised an eyebrow and glanced towards Lark with a smile in his eyes. He had been right to be confident in her. She took even her dancing lessons seriously. He nodded and assumed a closed position. Their closeness made Sara blush and as the music rose gently she was quickly swept away. Bernard was an excellent dancer and led her easily. Lark looked on with admiration. They were a beautiful pair and both had become so animated in their embrace. By the time they had spun back towards her, Sara was laughing breathlessly. She pulled away and curtsied.

"Thank you, sir, for the lesson," she gasped. "I clearly require more practice. My stamina is limited." Bernard smiled at her more brightly than usual and Sara seemed stunned by his direct attention. Before she could recover Lark rose and took her hand.

"Are my lessons for today complete?" she asked Bernard. He nodded but his eyes did not leave Sara's flushed face. To an outside observer he might seem indifferent but Lark could see his intensity clearly. She could not hide a smug smirk.

"Then we will take our leave. I have some private information to discuss with Sara. Until tomorrow."

She and Sara curtsied and hurried back to their chambers where Sara's mind was still filled with the sensation of Bernard's hand on her waist. But Lark quickly brought her back to reality. She pulled her down on the couch next to her.