38. Intruder

The months had drifted by with no real direction. Lark's body began to change and her belly grew quickly, revealing that her pregnancy remained viable. The baby kicked exuberantly and the doctor assured Lark and August that the fetus was healthy. All too soon the day of the birth would arrive. Lark feared this most of all. She had found sleep and relaxation impossible as her fear grew. At first she was overly cautious fearing that any wrong move would disturb her baby and risk her pregnancy. But the child growing inside of her was tenacious. Now her anxiety focused on her upcoming birth. The baby she had cared for in the orphanage had been delivered there after his mother died in childbirth. Lark feared the same fate. August doted on her as often as he could, asking for the staff to prepare her favorite meals and draw frequent baths to ease her sore body. She felt wonderfully supported despite her stress. Her husband could not have been a better partner. She spent most of her afternoons in study. Bernard had come to the estate soon after they arrived and they spent hours in the library every day. Though he was a capable and skilled tutor Lark noticed his attention slipping more often. He had eyes only for Sara who did her best to keep busy with embroidery or drawing while Lark studied. It was heartwarming to see she and Bernard sitting quietly together pouring over books about local plants and medicinal herbs.

It was a sunny afternoon and the trio was reviewing tax collection laws when Lark first felt a stabbing pain in her abdomen. She ignored it at first. It was unlikely that she would go into labor so soon. Her accelerated pregnancy had been a source of fascination for the doctor who had estimated she still had weeks left. But as the pain began to radiate outward and increase in intensity Lark began to reconsider. Maybe it was time. Sara noticed her wincing as a fresh wave of pain washed over her and then quickly faded. Her determined expression revealed her understanding. She jumped to her feet, startling Bernard who nearly fell backward in surprise.

"We have to get our Lady to her chambers," she commanded, pulling Bernard to his feet. He obeyed her but appeared confused at first, helping Lark gingerly up from her chair. "And get the doctor," Sara added. Bernard nodded, realizing her meaning. The baby was coming.

August was still sleeping deeply when they entered the chamber. It was late afternoon and still a dangerous time for vampires to be exposed. Their chambers had the windows carefully covered so that it was completely dark within. Once Bernard had assisted Lark into her private room he hurried to rouse her husband. Sara stayed by her Lady's side and began preparing towels, water and other necessities. The doctor could not be summoned until nightfall but Lark's labor would most likely not proceed further for many hours.

August was roused quickly and rushed to his wife's side where he took her hand and held it close to his chest.

"My love," he groaned. His hair was still wild from sleeping. His dressing robe hung open and loose on his body and Lark giggled even as another contraction hit her. "Is it time?" Lark nodded.

"Yes, my lord," she replied. "Soon our child will be here."

As the sun traced a blazing path across the sky her contractions worsened and after a few agonizing hours Lark worried that she could no longer wait for the doctor to come when night fell. The birth was proceeding at surprising speed. Her face was flushed and glistening with sweat as she requested that Bernard go get the doctor. August repeated the command and tossed Bernard a heavy cloak before returning to Lark's side. He wiped her brow gently with a cool, wet cloth. His own anxiety had climaxed and both tried to control their panic as Bernard rushed out of the chamber. A shift of sunlight entered through the open door but August ignored the pain lingering on his skin like a sunburn. He would recover quickly. He barely even noticed as Sara rushed to the door and closed it. She was in such a hurry to do so that she hadn't noticed the eyes peering into the room from a narrow perpendicular corridor. A dark form shifted behind one of the aged tapestries. But as the door clicked shut it disappeared, sliding like a serpent down the bright corridor and into the courtyard. They vaulted easily over the stone wall, using a tall tree to support their quick ascent. As they landed smoothly on the other side their hood fell back, exposing a beautiful and savage face. It was Vayn, her daggers gleaming brightly on her belt.

Her expression was indulgent and pleased. She had not expected Lark to be pregnant. She felt a sense of extreme satisfaction at the thought that her rival had taken a human lover. As she was ignorant to the rare occurrence of vampires siring biological children she reveled in the knowledge that August was witnessing the birth of his wife's bastard child. As the Lady seemed to be preparing for birth Vayn could only imagine she had taken a lover while still in the harem. Was it a guard? A cook? Or some other servant? She giggled. It didn't matter. They would all be dead by morning.

She navigated easily through the rough terrain of the mountainside to a woodcutters cottage deep in a forest spread over a low ridge. This is where she and Devroe, along with a few accomplices, had been preparing to execute their assassinations.