31. A Beast

Though the library was usually filled with golden sunlight at this hour it was now dark. The windows and curtains had been drawn to smother any stray sunbeams and the expansive room was largely hidden in shadow. A few candelabras had been lit and cast flickering shapes on the floors and shelves of books. Devore filled the doorway with his imposing figure like a predator hidden in a cave. His smile grew wide and menacing as his eyes met Lark's. Or maybe she had only imagined it. She blinked in surprise and suddenly his features were smooth and almost gentle. He stood aside and gestured into the library.

"I apologize for the lack of sun," he laughed. "It doesn't agree with me."

Lark curtsied politely and Sara mirrored her but could sense her mistresses unease.

"My Lord," Lark replied. "It is a pleasure. Is Bernard available? We are looking for him."

She met his eyes calmly and with confidence and he gestured towards Bernard's office. The door glowed from the sunlight pouring into the room. Lark wondered if Bernard had opened the curtains to ensure that Devroe could not enter. Most humans felt uneasy around the charismatic but unsettling vampire. Did August know that Devore was here? Lark was sure he would have warned her about their visitor. Due to Devroe's status it was likely he was admitted by the guards. He was technically an ally of the kingdom. They had no reason to turn him away. The women swiftly stepped through it and into the relative safety of the sunlit office where Bernard sat studiously behind his desk with books spread out in front of him. He looked up as they entered and he smiled as he locked eyes with Sara.

He rose and bowed.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" he asked.

"I have come with news," Lark said softly. She pointed to the pen and parchment on Bernard's desk. "May I?"

"By all means."

Lark sat at his desk and penned a note.

I would prefer to keep my message private. Others could be listening.

She handed the note to Bernard. His eyes widened and he glanced at the door before turning to Lark. She nodded. He had easily understood her suggestion. Devroe could not be trusted. Bernard handed her back the scrap of parchment and she continued to write.

Our Lord has asked for my hand in marriage. I am looking for any resources that may be in your collection related to this matter. It is still a secret engagement. Please keep this between us.

As Bernard read this message he could not conceal his surprise. Despite Lark's success in court this type of marriage was unprecedented. Then his eyes fell on Sara who had been smiling at him since they entered. He nearly blushed as he looked away. Though humans within the castle were typically unmarried, August had permitted a handful of pets and servants to conduct small ceremonies and live together as married couples. Lark knew that Sara hoped she and Bernard would some day be permitted to marry. But she doubted they had breached the topic. Bernard cleared his throat and reached for a few books on a high shelf. He examined the indexes and titles before passing them to Lark. The information she sought would likely be buried deep within the pages of heavy volumes and Lark was overwhelmed as the stack of books grew. Bernard bowed before slipping from the office to collect further materials as Sara and Lark sat on the carpeted floor to begin searching for answers. Sara's reading skills had improved since her arrival at the castle but she still struggled to dig through the first book she selected. It was a record of marriages in the aristocracy over the last 100 years in the country and the dense lines of text made her head hurt. Lark flipped through a book of local laws pertaining to marriage and property. Neither were successful and by the time Bernard returned they already felt the fatigue setting in.