2

Nova had spent most the night decorating her room, putting brackets on her shelves with a handheld screwdriver before adding all of her books, which was quite the collection. She added her sheets and comforter to her bed, along with a few pillows, putting some of her things in and on her desk, some of her artwork on the walls, just to make the room her own. But the thing was, it wasn't the room she had lived in for the last sixteen years, and because it was a new room, she didn't sleep well that night, and Irina figured as much.

"I have to get to work" Irina said as she slung her purse over her shoulder, holding on to her lunch bag "there's some money on the counter, you can go explore the town to get a feel of the town before school tomorrow" looking at her "I'll be back by seven, call me if you need anything, okay?"

She gave the older woman a small nod, which caused a smile to form on her lips, pressing a kiss to her forehead and moving a lock of hair away from her face. Irina walked out of the house, a low sigh emitting from Nova's nose, sitting in the kitchen for a moment longer. The older woman had checked her wrists before breakfast, and promised to check them again when she got home, and she was now left alone, also wanting to explore the town of Beacon Hills so she could get a feel of the people that lived there. She stood up from her seat at the table, grabbing her empty cup and making her way over to the sink, cleaning it and putting it in the dish rack before walking out of the kitchen, heading upstairs so she could get her shoes and everything she needed, the money staying untouched on the counter.

The woods were always calming to Nova, listening to the birds singing and the leaves rustling due to the light breeze. It was a bit of a walk from the house to the main road, since it was the only house in the woods that Nova knew of, but she didn't mind the walk as she flicked the top to her lighter open, then clicking it shut, which was the only other thing that filled the silent air. But she put it in her pocket as she reached the main road, not wanting to give anyone a bad impression, adjusting the old backpack on her back as she dropped her skateboard on it's wheels, stopping it with her foot before it rolled far. Nova wasn't sure on where to actually go first, but she may as well just start with the shops to see what they had to offer.

Because of the fact that she was new in town, Nova received looks from people, judging her based on her choice of clothing, which had consisted of a self-modified band tee, ripped jeans and black converse. They all thought she was up to no good as she rode along the sidewalk, but some seemed to think otherwise when she moved out of the way of their walking space instead of forcing them to move as she approached. The gym was nice, but there wasn't a kickboxing class, she didn't visit the art store or bookstore because she knew she would never leave until she ended up clearing the shelves. She had even found the school she would be attending tomorrow, looking at the building with a small sigh. Nova didn't have any friends at all when she lived in Maine, the teens just decided that she was too weird for them, so she would often sit alone at lunch. Maybe living in Beacon Hills would be different. The only friends she really had were her siblings.

Nova turned around, walking away from the school with her skateboard in her hand, not wanting to go, but knowing she had to in order to give Irina a piece of mind. The older woman didn't want her only granddaughter to run around town and cause trouble, but she had a feeling she wouldn't do that. The teen looked around, wondering where she should go now, pulling out her phone and glancing at the time, stopping in her tracks when a figure ran in front of her. She reached out, grasping the hood to his jacket and pulling him out of the street as a car drove by, putting her phone in her back pocket,

"Watch where you're going" Nova muttered

She walked past him, the boy looking at her in confusion, wondering how she knew the car was coming,

"Hey!" another boy called out "hey, wait up!"

Stopping in her tracks, she lightly rolled her eyes, turning around to face the two boys. The first boy was around five foot ten with brown hair and eyes. The other one was of a similar height, with brown eyes and hair as well,

"You're new here" he continued

"Is it that obvious?" Nova asked, looking at him

"Kinda" he smiled "not many people come to Beacon Hills. You're Nova Phoenix, right?" earning a small nod "your grandmother is friends with my mom, they work together at the hospital. She told me you were coming to stay with Irina. I'm Scott" pointing to himself, then to the other boy "this is Stiles"

"You gonna be going to Beacon Hills High?" the other boy

"Yeah" she replied, nodding slightly "I start tomorrow"

"Didn't you just get here, though?" Scott asked, confusion in his voice

"Yesterday" giving him another small nod ". . I'm gonna go explore some more" pointing her thumb behind her "see you guys around"

"Yeah, definitely" he smiled

Nova turned around and walked away, Scott's smile slowly falling from his lips as he watched her.

"She's in pain" he said softly

Scott was a werewolf, Nova figured that out on her own, she had lived with werewolves her whole life, so of course she knew one when she saw one. But he wasn't an alpha, those ones normally carried themselves a little more differently than betas or omegas, she couldn't exactly describe it. But she had seen it before, and it was a memory she wanted to completely forget.