102

"For the thirtieth time, can you please keep the light straight?" Nova asked

Darkness surrounded them when the sun had set, the only available light was from the moon, Stiles and Lydia holding their flashlights toward Nova's hands she she continued to work on the car,

"You really need an upgrade" she muttered "just give me the summer with this thing, I'll put in new parts that you desperately need"

"We are in the middle of nowhere with his broken down jeep and we're being attacked by her another razor-clawed monster" Lydia replied "and I'm terrified"

"Well, could you be slightly less terrified and hold the light still?" glancing at her

"Yeah, remember, we have the strongest being on our side" Stiles said, slapping Nova's back

His action caused the screwdriver in her hand to fall, the tool rattling when it hit the parts of the car as it fell further in before coming to a stop, causing the redhead to slightly raise her head, looking at the sky for a moment and paying to whatever God was out there to grant her a little more patience she desperately needed, turning her head and glaring at the human, who quickly took his hand away and looked down, keeping the light aimed on her hands. She rolled her eyes at the chuckle that emitted from Enjin,

"Anything?" Kira asked as she stood with Malia

"It's too hard to see" she replied "we should've brought another flashlight"

Kira looked down at the katana in her hands, then over to the headlights on the jeep, walking over to it and holding the blade against it. The light reflected from the blade, Nova managing to get the screwdriver Stiles made her drop, getting back to work with a heavy sigh,

"Did you see that?" Kira asked

After a moment, a roar emitted from Malia, her eyes shining blue as her fangs extended, running toward the think Kira had seen,

"Malia, wait!" Kira said, following her

"Malia!" Stiles called out

"Stay" Nova ordered, grabbing the back of his shirt, preventing him from running after them "the last thing we need is you getting killed"

Stiles let out a low groan, slightly bouncing in place for a moment before settling down, keeping the light on her hands as she continued to work, which took a few more moments. Lydia opened the driver's door, turning on the engine, which caused it to come to life, Nova nodding slightly to herself, standing straight and jumping from the hood.

"You . . You -- please don't do that ever again!" Stiles said, scolding Malia as the sun slowly began to rise

Now that the jeep was back on the road, Stiles was in the driver's seat, Malia in the passengers, the other three in the back, Nova's head leaning against the window with her eyes closed, tired from this trip and very hungry.

"Do what?" Malia asked

"I . . I thought you just took off" he replied "I thought you were running"

"I was running" looking at him

"He thought you were leaving" Nova clarified

"Oh, I wouldn't leave without you" she replied, understanding now

". . Really?" Stiles asked

"I would never leave without you" shaking her head slightly, glancing back at the other three "I wouldn't leave Nova, either. Those two, I would leave"

"That's actually progress" Nova muttered

She didn't know what it was like to suddenly be pushed into into a world where she doesn't know how to interact with people, but Stiles and Nova were doing what they could in order to help her. It was a slow process, but Malia was catching on.

". . That doesn't look so good" Lydia commented, spotting the cut on Malia's side

"It's okay" she replied

"Are you sure?" Kira asked "it looks deep"

"Yeah, I can feel it healing" she assured

"And you didn't see anything?" Nova asked

"Barely" shaking her head slightly "it had a strong scent though"

"Like what?" Stiles asked

". . Like death" she answered

Nova knew what that scent was like, even before her senses became heightened, she knew what it was like.

"Still not sleeping well?" Kira asked, causing Nova to shake her head slightly "how are things at home?"

"Well, my mate was kidnapped by his ex girlfriend and my grandmother is still getting used to the information regarding her daughter hiring an alpha werewolf -- who looked like he was on steroids -- to kill my entire family but only managed to kill my parents and sister" Nova replied "it's been weeks since I slept through the night"

Deucalion told Irina everything that really happened with the alpha pack, something she didn't believe at first until she looked at Nova, who had tears in her eyes as she was reminded of that night. When a phoenix accepted their host, they possessed the ability to communicate with other phoenixes, Enjin spoke with Irina's phoenix -- Benji -- and the mythological birds are brutally honest. Enjin told Benji everything that happened that night in Maine, and everything else that happened when the alpha pack came to Beacon Hills, even what Deucalion asked Ennis, and his response before he was killed. Irina was in a state of shock, hurt and betrayal that her own daughter would do such a thing, and she believed Nova had every right to carry out her own punishment, something that every alpha phoenix was able to do.

X

The jeep finally pulled up to La Iglesia, just in time as Braeden and Scott walked out of the church, Nova instantly getting out of the car when the scent of her mate filled her nose. But she stopped in her tracks at the figure they dragged, her eyebrows furrowing slightly,

"Is that him?" Malia asked "is that Derek?"

Nova hesitantly walked toward them, reaching out and gently cupping his face in her hands, raising his head and looking at him. Irina was close friends with the Hale's, so the redhead had seen pictures of Derek when he was in his teens, and she still couldn't believe the sight before her. But this was her mate, judging by the tingles left behind, Nova hesitantly moving the collar of his shirt to the side, seeing her mark still on his skin, much to her relief and surprise.

"Uh, sort of" Stiles muttered

He opened his eyes slightly, eyebrows furrowing at the sight of beautiful gray eyes, surrounded by fire red hair, tingles forming on his cheeks.