CHAPTER 7 - Dinner

"Calm down kids," your mother reminded, walking past you three with your father and the girls. You straightened your back, steadying your breath and gesturing the boys to do the same. Then you three followed after the other half of your family.

Your father knocked on the door, and the doors opened. By themselves.

"Weird," Ethan, who had a practical soul, muttered.

You ignored his comment, a bit awestruck. You had always both dreamed and daydreamed about magic and the majority of you truly believed in its existence hence you weren't as surprised when you saw Camilo for the first time. You and your family walked in, the floor pushing you towards a wall where your father hung his hat. You let out a childish giggle of excitement and stared at the floor with sparkles in your eyes.

"Welcome, come to the dining room," you heard a kind voice speak and your head snapped up to see the elderly woman from the morning stand there.

You nodded a greeting before the woman turned around and your family followed her, your father speaking up. "Thank you for inviting us."

"It's nothing," the woman waved it off. You believed that full-heartedly since she seemed glad to have people over.

You stepped into the dining room and your lips parted slightly with surprise, seeing how many people were there.

"Please, take a seat," another woman said, gesturing to the free chairs. "I'm Julieta."

"Esther," your mother shook her hand. "These are my husband, Eric, and our kids, Y/n, Aiden, Ethan, Lily and Rose." She introduced the family, gesturing to each of you, and you gave an awkward smile to the people in the room before sitting down between the twin boys so they wouldn't start fighting.

"I'm Agustín," the man from next to Julieta stood up, also shaking your parents' hands.

"I'm Pepa and this is my husband Félix," a woman with gingerish hair spoke from the other side of the table.

"Nice to meet you," the dark-skinned man spoke. "This is our daughter Dolores."

The girl nodded.

"Oh and these are Isabela, Luisa and Mirabel," Julieta introduced, gesturing to the girls. You assumed they were her and Agustín's children.

"Where are Bruno, Camilo and Antonio?" Alma Madrigal, as you had heard your parents call her during the walk, asked strictly. You perked up at the familiar names.

Dolores tilted her head a bit, as if listening. "They're coming."

"Sorry, Abuela," a very familiar voice spoke up. "Tío Bruno was showing us his hideout." The boy took a seat and gave you a small smile. The boy he had first impersonated while meeting you sat next to him. A man also took a seat.

Alma seemed to scold them with her gaze before smiling. "Now that everyone's here, let us eat."

Everyone started to put food on their plates and since your parents were sitting next to Ethan and the girls were next to Aiden, the girls didn't exactly have anyone to help them. You saw them just sit there helplessly and nobody seemed to notice their struggles so you decided to help.

You reached over and took Lily's plate first since she was sitting further away. She looked up at you with confusion but you only gave her a small smile before putting her a portion.

"Thank you," she said timidly as you handed the plate back to her.

"Of course," you pat her head over Aiden and Rose's heads.

"My turn!" Rose cheered.

"Yes, it's your turn," you laughed quietly before also taking her plate. As you looked back up, you saw Camilo hand Antonio's, who was also still a tad bit short to reach, plate back to him. He gave you a smile which you returned before putting a portion for Rose also. Only when you had handed the plate back to her did you start taking food for yourself.

"So, Y/n," Pepa started a conversation. You looked up from the food you were about to eat, a bit surprised that you had been spoken to. "How old are you?"

"I'm turning 15 next week," you smiled but felt the need to add something so the conversation wouldn't get awkward. "I'm excited to have a birthday here, the landscape and the flowers in town are really beautiful."

You could've sworn you saw Isabela smile as if you had given her a compliment but you ignored it as Pepa nodded and turned to your siblings. "And what about you four?"

"Me and Eddy are 10," Aiden said proudly. "Our birthday was last month."

Chuckles went around the table at his confidence before everyone looked at Lily and Rose. Lily raised her hand slightly with 5 fingers extended, it seemed like she wanted to sink into the chair. "We're 5," Rose answered shortly with all the confidence she could muster.

"Cool! I'm 5 too, do you want to go and play in my room later?" Antonio asked them. They nodded eagerly.

"Do you want to see my animal picture book one day?" Rose asked, being the social butterfly of the set of twins.

"Yeah!" Antonio nodded eagerly.

You turned your attention elsewhere as Pepa turned to your mother. "It seems that the kids get along."

"Yeah, I'm glad," your mother nodded. "Especially the girls. Boys don't have that much of a problem making friends. Now if Y/n too managed to make friends, that would be awesome."

"Excuse me?" you asked offendedly, turning to look at your parents. "For your information, I made a friend when I was out today."

"Was it an imaginary one?" Aiden snorted. You glared at him which shut him up.

"Erm, no, it was me," Camilo spoke up, giving you a smile. All eyes turned to him.

"So that's why you were in such a cheery mood when you came back," Mirabel said with an 'oh' face.

Pepa and Félix shared a knowing glance. Unfortunately, Camilo saw that. "Ma! Pa!" he said, a tint of red coming to his face due to embarrassment.

"Alright, why don't you kids go upstairs and socialize a bit while the grown-ups do the boring talking thing," Julieta ushered. Everyone of the kids agreed and stood up, leaving their empty plates on the table.

The Madrigal kids went first and you ushered your brothers and sisters before you, leaving you last. So, remembering your manners very well, you turned around. "Thank you for the food. It was delicious."