CHAPTER 47 - Beaten Promise

Suddenly, you heard a twig snap.

You cast an alarmed look around the place, searching for what could've made the noise. You knew you were probably paranoid but better safe than sorry, right?

"Hello," a deep, dangerous voice greeted.

"What do you want?" you growled, still trying to search for the owner of the voice.

The man, as you now saw as he stepped out of the woods, grinned darkly. "Just to end the L/n bloodline."

You didn't have time to react before a hard punch flew across your face. "Why?" you groaned, a hand flying up to your face. You had lost your glasses at the punch.

"I've made a promise. And you're the last one."

Your eyes widened with realization. "You killed my family!" you yelled, charging power in your hands.

"Indeed I did," he nodded, striking at you again and again, continuing so you wouldn't have time to charge up any power. "Don't try to yell, you're out of her hearing range anyway." You could only dodge his continuous punches as you thought. And then you came to a realization.

It was at that moment that you knew you were doomed. No one came out here and Dolores' hearing range wouldn't reach you since you were that far outside the Encanto. As you were in your thoughts, the man pushed you to the ground.

"Pity to kill a child," he muttered, crouching over your form which was by now pretty beaten up and weak. You had a cut on your stomach from falling on a sharp stone and your hands were all scratched up. "Y'know, I'll just leave you here."

You tried to fight back as he picked you up and tied you to a tree but it wasn't working since he was far stronger than you. Your vision hazed a bit more as the adrenaline started to wear off and you started to feel the pain from all your wounds. You saw the masked man leave, rubbing his face. You grinned weakly. Maybe I gave him a busted lip? you wondered.

The next few minutes, you let your energy recharge a bit, also waiting for the man to get far enough. Then, you started struggling against the ropes, the said things cutting into your skin with every move you made. But you had to get out of them.

A lot of time later, when the light of the sun had started to disappear, you managed to finally break the ropes around your upper body and you face-planted to the ground. Your shoulders were bleeding slightly and your muscles were sore but you were one step closer to being free. So, after a lot of struggle, you managed to untie the knot around your legs.

You stood up, a bit wobbly, and crouched down again, hovering your hands above the ground as you searched for your glasses. "Broken," you muttered, finally finding them.

Then you stood up, your whole body aching and slowly trudged back towards the mountains, the broken glasses in your hands. You went through the river, starting to get more hopeful but then you tumbled over a tree root.

You couldn't find the strength in yourself to stand up again so you rolled to your back and looked up. I love the stars, too bad I can't see them, you thought sadly before remembering - you promised to hang out with Camilo. "Sorry, I'm late to dinner..."

All went black, the pain fading away, the thoughts fading away, everything fading away - leaving you in complete, empty darkness. But you could've sworn you saw a golden fog of Jack Frost worriedly hover over you right before that.

***

Camilo bit his lip anxiously, looking at the garden. His siblings and cousins had helped him set it up for you and his hangout. He was planning to confess tonight and it had to be perfect.

"She'll love it," Mirabel assured, putting a hand on Camilo's shoulder. "You just have to be yourself."

Camilo nodded slightly. "I hope so."

"Has anyone seen Y/n?" Pepa asked as they went to the dining room. "She should be back by now."

Camilo frowned. "What do you mean?"

"She went for a walk in the mountains but promised to be back by dinner," Pepa said worriedly.

"I'll go look for her," Camilo said determinedly.

"You're not going alone!" Pepa said firmly.

"I'll go with him," Dolores offered. "You guys can eat dinner without us, we'll be back in a bit."

Camilo smiled at his sister and then they went. "Where could she be?" he asked Dolores worriedly. "Can you hear her?"

Dolores shook her head. "Probably outside of the Encanto. We'll have to go closer to the mountains."

And they did. "Y/n!" Camilo yelled. "Y/N!"

"I got her!" Dolores suddenly chirped. "She should be by the river!"

Camilo took off running towards the crack in the mountains, still calling your name. Then your form came into his field of vision.

"Y/n!" he called, speeding towards you. "Y/n! Can you hear me?" He kneeled beside you, shaking you. He could see you were breathing. Evenly but definitely not frequently enough. A look of worry crossed his face as he quickly took off his ruana. "You're ice cold," he muttered, his voice cracking while wrapping the ruana around your bloodied body. Dolores arrived just in time to see her brother pick you up. "Take her things, we have to go." Dolores nodded without a word and took your bag and glasses from the ground, looking worriedly at the face of his brother, who was cradling you in his arms while quickly walking back towards the Encanto.

"You'll be fine," Camilo whispered to you, feeling the weak pulse on your wrist. "I promise."

[This was originally two chapters ngl, I had to change it so I could do exactly 50 chapters. They were titled 'Beaten' and 'Promise' and were separated in the '***' part.]