CHAPTER 42 - Brother?

"Y/n, I was wondering if-" The church bells rang and he forgot what he was about to say. "Come on, we'll be late!"

You and Camilo panted as you reached Casita but you kept going until you reached the dining room. The sight was beautiful, Isabella had decorated it all with flowers. But she didn't look too pleased.

"Why the frown?" you asked, nudging her.

"Well, the flowers block out the light but without them it's too plain," she explained. "And in the dark, flowers don't look great."

"Ohh," you understood, "may I help?"

"Go ahead," she nodded.

You twirled your fingers, creating a few balls of light. You separated them and placed them on the leaves of the plants so all of the dining room was beautifully lighted. You also coated most of the flowers with almost unnoticeable glitter but it made it shine beautifully.

Isabella gasped. "You made it perfect, thank you!"

"What's the occasion by the way?" you asked, tilting your head.

"The Guzmáns are coming over for Dolores' engagement. Didn't Camilo tell you?" she informed.

"No. The only thing he did was ask me to dance," you frowned.

Isabella smirked. "Is that so? Well, did you like the dance?"

"Yeah, I did," you smiled soflty.

"You like him, don't'cha?" she asked.

"Wh- What?" you stuttered, going red in the face. Honestly, you did like him. You just didn't know how to label the feeling before Isabella brought it up.

"They're here!" Mirabel announced and the dining room quickly filled up with the Madrigals who all took their seats.

"Isabella, the decorations are perfect," Alma said.

"Thank you, Abuela. Y/n did the lightning though so I can't take all the credit," she smiled at you.

You smiled back and nodded. "Thank you, Y/n," Alma nodded to you too before turning around. "I'll go take the Guzmáns here." She turned around and left, leaving you all sitting there and chatting with each other.

You turned to Camilo. "You wanted to say something earlier?"

He looked pretty lost for a second. "Oh, yeah, erm-"

"Hola!"

You turned your head to the door. "Malachi!"

"Oh, Y/n, you didn't tell me you lived with the Madrigals," he commented, taking a seat opposite from you.

"You never asked," you shrugged. "And you are here because...?"

"Mariano's my brother. But last time I was out of town so I didn't get to come," he explained.

"There was a last time?" you asked, turning to Camilo.

"Yeah, um, anyway," Camilo confirmed, quickly brushing it off. "Can we eat now, Abuela?"

"Patience, Camilo," Alma reminded.