CHAPTER 45 - Gone

Determination came over Camilo's features as he gave a nod to the other boy. "I will."

You were eating breakfast the next morning when you felt an uncomfortable chill run up your back. You frowned slightly, raising your gaze and looking out of the dining room in thought. But the sight made your eyes widen. You and grandfather's doors were flickering.

"Y/n? Are you alri...ght?" Camilo trailed off, following your line of sight. He, too, became silent.

Suddenly, you felt a sharp pain go through your head, your vision going black for a second. You squeezed your eyes shut, waiting for it to go over. When it did, you opened your eyes again. Just in time to see the light on your grandfather's door flicker shut. And then, the door... just, disappeared. Melted into being the same with the wall like it was never there.

You just stared emptily at the spot, shocked to your very core. Camilo put a hand on your shoulder but you didn't notice. Your mind was a mess of all kinds of thoughts that you couldn't control or remember after they were gone. A shaky breath left your lips as you leaned back and closed your eyes.

"Is everything alright?" Julieta asked, the first one to voice her concern out of the adults.

"It's gone," was all you could mutter.

Camilo looked at you sadly. "Her Abuelo's door just disappeared," he explained quietly to the other, making them snap their necks to also get a look where the door is supposed to be.

"I'm- I'm sorry," Bruno said suddenly, making everyone turn their attention to him, you included since you now opened your eyes. "I saw it, I should've told you-"

"It's alright," you assured, trying to plaster on a small smile. "Besides, I don't think I would've been able to appreciate the time left with him if I knew he was going to disappear. So, I thank you."

He looked at you, a bit shocked. "You're not... blaming me?"

"No!" you denied. "That would be very childish. It's not like you make the things happen, you just see them which I think is very brave of you because I personally would be terrified." You chuckled slightly at the end before taking the last bite of your food. "I'll... just go now, get to my chores."