CHAPTER 38 - Help Around

Camilo let out a breath of relief, sinking back into his chair as his body relaxed.

The next day, everyone had agreed that the most productive way for you to find what you could help the best with. Currently, you were strotting through the market, looking for anywhere you could help.

"Rosalie, don't go there!" you heard a mother shout, chasing after a child who was running towards the main road that was busy and filled with people, donkeys and wagons. You moved your hand through the air, a golden glow reaching the child and picking her up, making her giggle as you guided her back to her mother.

"Oh, thank you!" the mother thanked.

"It's no worries, Señora," you smiled. "Can I help any other way? You seem busy?"

"If you wouldn't mind, I'd need someone to look after Rosalie while I get the groceries," she said, looking at you with eyes that clearly told you that you had to stay and help.

"I wouldn't mind at all. We'll be right here for when you finish," you beamed before looking at the child the mother had set down. "So you're Rosalie, aren't you?"

The child nodded with a trusting smile. "Well then, Rosalie. Can you tell me how old you are?"

The kid raised four fingers shyly. "That old."

The small voice that came out of her mouth made you want to... to... well, you didn't know what to do but it was cute. "Aww, aren't you cute?" you gushed, ruffling her hair. "Now, I'm gonna have to look after you until your momma comes back so how about we go to the edge of the street so we wouldn't be in the way."

She nodded before you took her small hand and guided her to a nearby bench and sat her down. "I'm Y/n by the way."

"Y/...n. Y.../n. Y/nnn..." she tried.

"Exactly! Y/n," you beamed.

Rosalie giggled. "Do the magic!"

You tilted your head confusedly before it arrived to you. "Ohh, you mean this?" A golden sparkle emitted from the end of your fingers.

"Yeah!" she cheered. "It's so pretty~"

You smiled a bit at her face before twirling your hand, making more sparkles emit.

"Bigger, bigger!" she cheered.

"Oh, you want bigger, don't ya?" you grinned mischievously before uniting both of your palms and when they opened, there was a golden ball of light.

"But it's not sparkly," Rosalie pouted.

"Oh, is it not?" you frowned. "I think it is. Maybe look closer."

Rosalie leaned over your palms and that's when you finished the last step of your plan. The golden ball of light shot up like a geyser made out of sunlight and sparkles, taking Rosalie with it. She yelled in delight before she fell back down and you caught her in your arms. "Sparkly enough?"

"Again!" she cheered, looking at you with big eyes.

"I'm afraid not," you said, casting a look to her mother who was nearing. "But I'm your friend from now on so maybe the next time you see me."

She let out a sad sound before her mother took her hand. "Thank you so much, Y/n, right? You moved here about a week and a half ago?"

"Correct," you smiled. "Your daughter is a nice girl. Well raised."

"Thank you," she nodded. "Come on now, Rosalie."

"Bye, bye, Y-/n," the little girl said, waving at you. You waved back with a peaceful smile.

"Hey, watch out!"

You snapped your head towards the sound. A barrel was rolling down the street, people jumping out of the way.

"Someone get it!"

You knew full well stopping it with your body would be stupid because you'd probably get crushed, considering the momentum of the thing so the only thing you could think of was swiping your hand upwards, creating a curved wall.

The barrel crashed into it, rolled upwards and then came down before coming to a stop. You let out a breath of relief before moving your hand softly, making the wall disappear. The crowd applauded and cheered.

"Thanks, Y/n," Luisa panted, finishing the run through the streets. "It slipped away, my bad."

"It's alright," you shrugged it off. "Everyone makes mistakes sometimes."

"Luisa! Did you catch the barrel!?"

"Coming, Abuela!"

You watched as people went back to their business and thought a bit before continuing to walk. Soon enough, you reached the busiest place - the town's square.

Someone bumped into you from the back. "Whoops, sorry," he quickly apologized as you turned to look at him.

"It's quite alright," you smiled.

"The name's Malachi," he smiled, putting his hand out. [

- not mine, from Pinterest]

So he's the type to make small talk, you noted to yourself before shaking his hand. "Y/n."

"Are you new, I don't think I've seen you around before," he commented, pocketing his hands and leaning his back against the wall.

"Well, yeah," you smiled, "we moved here about a week and 3 or 4 days ago or something like that."

"That's nice," he nodded. "Have you seen all the good places then?"

"Erm, probably not," you admitted. "Pretty sure I was cooked up inside because of the storm and then there was the Fall Festival and yeah that pretty much took all my time."

"Hmm," he hummed. "I could show you around then at some point? There are many beautiful places you're missing."

"Sure," you grinned before looking around. "Not right now though, I should go and... help. Just, gotta be useful sometimes, y'know? So... see you around?"

"See you... around," he trailed off since you were already on your way to help the farmer you saw struggling with carrying all the fruit. He chuckled a bit before turning the other way and making way to his home, contently smiling to himself since he made a new friend.