CHAPTER 37 - In Love

"An evil plan is what it was," you said, wrinkling your nose while side-glancing at your grandpa. "Nothing more, nothing less."

Everyone was eating dinner, accompanied with peaceful chatter and quiet laughter here and there. "Psst! Antonio," you whisper-yelled to the boy sitting across from you. You saw him give you attention so you continued. "Look at this."

A slight sparkle came out of your hand and slithered on the table. Antonio followed how you directed it under a bowl of soup and...

"Can anyone pass me the soup, please?" Julieta asked, making you panic for a moment.

But then you had a splendid idea. Well, splendid if everything went right. You raised the soup on a plate with a thin leg and maneuvered the thing until it reached Julieta. You let out a breath as you placed it on the table. "Thank you, Y/n," Julieta beamed, seemingly impressed with your skill.

You moved your hand in a bowing-you're-welcome motion before continuing to eat your soup. "That was so cool," Antonio said quietly.

"Why thank you," you grinned. "Honestly, I panicked for a second."

"It was not your plan?" he asked.

"Shh!" you shushed him playfully. "Don't tell everyone that."

He giggled childishly at your actions before Alma cleared her throat. "Well, Y/n, since you have this wonderful new gift, would you mind helping around the village a bit like all the others?"

"Yeah, I was actually planning to ask about that," you smiled. "I just can't exactly imagine how I could be useful." A frown made its way onto your face as you finished that sentence.

"I'm sure we'll figure something out," Camilo said, trying to comfort you. "I mean, all of us get to do something."

"Yeah," you nodded. "In summary, it would be really nice to help out. Makes me feel happy."

Camilo smiled softly as he saw the happy look on your face. Félix nudged his son with an elbow, wiggling his eyebrows. Unfortunately for him, his wife noticed. "Félix, you can't force love!"

You zoned back in just to hear the last word and looked up curiously. "Who's in love?"

"Dolores is!" Camilo said quickly.

"Speaking of that, how's it going with Mariano?" Alma asked, directing her attention to her second oldest grandchild.

Camilo let out a breath of relief, sinking back into his chair as his body relaxed.