CHAPTER 14 - Lunch

"Good morning, Antonio," you greeted him, sitting down on the grass. "I'm just here to 'supervise' Rose so don't mind me. I'll just...," you trailed off, opening the book. "Read." The end of the sentence came out as a low mutter as you were already fully in the reading zone, blocking out all the outside world.

A hand landed on your book pages and you had a mini heart attack right then and there before looking up. "Camilo. Hey," you smiled. "I didn't notice you came in."

He grinned. "I can tell. I've been in the room for over an hour."

You raised your eyebrows with surprise. "What time is it?"

"Almost lunchtime. So I decided to wake you from your little daze because Rose over here told me you have to be home by lunch," he informed while you stood up.

"Thanks," you nodded, chuckling a bit. "I don't think I would've noticed it myself."

"I figured," he turned to eye the book in your hands. "Narnia? I've heard about it. Is it good?"

"Yeah, my favorite," you smiled softly, looking at the object. "Do you want to borrow it?"

"No!" he denied quickly. "I- I mean I would love to but you're reading it right now-"

"It's fine," you laughed. "I've read it many times anyway." You handed the book to him.

His eyes sparkled a bit as he took it carefully. "Are you sure?"

"Very," you smiled.

"Thank you. I mean it, I've wanted to read it for a while now," he admitted, admiring the hardcover book. "I'll give it back to you as soon as I finish it, I promise."

"I know," you chuckled, patting his shoulder. "I trust you with it, make sure not to ruin it. But we'll get going now, we'll be late if we don't. Rose!"

"Coming!" she answered immediately, sliding down from on top of the tree. "Let's go quickly so we can come back!" She took your hand and started running, dragging you out the door. Well, she was running, you were speed walking.

Camilo followed, soon after you, disappearing into his room with the book.

"Oh, Y/n, Rose," Julieta drew your attention as you arrived downstairs. "Are you two not staying for lunch?"

"I'm afraid not," you shook your head. "Ma and Pa wanted us home for lunch."

"But aren't they coming here too?" Julieta asked, her brows furrowing. "I'm pretty sure I invited them today."

"Might be," you nodded. "We've been in Antonio's room the whole time so we don't really know."

"Okay," Julieta nodded. "You can go then but I still think they're coming here. Maybe they're waiting for the boys at home?"

"No, they've stepped in the yard," Dolores informed, peeking her head out of the dining room.

"Thank you, Dolores," Rose said, going up to hug her.

You were pretty surprised, going after her. "Sorry, she's usually not that touchy," you took Rose from Dolores.

"It's okay," Dolores smiled. "I think she just wants to be friends. Isn't that right, little Rose?"

"It is! I want you to be my friend!" she announced loudly.

"Then, little friend, could you please talk a bit quieter?" Dolores asked kindly, not to make Rose feel bad.

"Sorry," Rose whispered. Just then, the door opened and the rest of your family came in. In no time, you all were seated again in the dining room.

"Thank you so much for inviting us but are you sure we're not a burden?" your father asked genuinely since, well, your family wasn't that good friends with the Madrigals yet so it felt a bit weird to be eating over 50% of the time.

"No, it's alright," Alma spoke with a smile. "Especially since you seem like a nice family and the kids get along rather well. Speaking of kids, where's Camilo?"

Everyone shrugged, making Alma turn to Dolores. "He's reading," she informed. "Seems pretty invested."

That made you frown a bit, feeling as if it was partly your fault since you gave him the book. "Again? Seriously?" Pepa asked.

"It's usual?" Aiden asked curiously but you could hear the coming mischief.

"Yeah, he gets stuck in reading all the time," Antonio laughed. "I don't know what he sees in reading, I think it's boring!"

"We have the same problem with Y/n actually," your mother smiled, eyeing you.

You wanted to sink into the ground and make everyone forget about you right then and there. "Ma!" you groaned, leaning on your hands. "Reading's nice," you muttered as an excuse.

"No wonder they get along so well," Félix laughed. "I wonder what book he has though, I don't think he has been so invested for a long time."

"Narnia," you smiled. "I borrowed it to him."

"Oh, that's the book he's been going on about," Pepa smiled. "I'm glad he got the chance to read it but right now I would actually rather eat."

Alma nodded and was about to speak up, to send someone after Camilo, you assumed, when the boy in question stepped in and embarrassment tinted his cheeks a bit. "Sorry, it's a good book," he excused. "But it got a bit quiet so I decided to check."

"It's alright, we had rather delightful conversations," Pepa assured her son. "But now, let's eat."