CHAPTER 21 - Early Risers

"Everything's fair in love and war," you smirked. "Night, Denny." Then you turned to everyone else, giving them a kind smile. "Goodnight, everyone!"

You woke suddenly to the crackle of thunder. The next fraction of a second was what it took you to remember where you were and the next fraction was what you needed to realize that you should look at the clock. 6 in the morning.

You sighed and stuffed your face in the pillow again. You usually woke around 7 so your current goal was to get another hour of sleep. But you couldn't. Your head felt heavy and your nose was stuffy, allowing you not to breathe through it.

You groaned internally and turned to lay on your back. Must've gotten a cold from being in the rain yesterday... Nothing I can do I guess- Well, maybe some tea. And I must also dress warmly. After a few more minutes of pondering, your ears identified someone walking outside. So, you decided you'd simply get yourself up now because you weren't going to get any sleep anyway.

You decided to wear a long woolen beige skirt and a black long-sleeve shirt. You also put on some black knee-high socks since they were the warmest you had.

[Outfit I imagine (found on Pinterest):  

]

By the time you finished getting yourself ready for the day, you heard someone clattering with the dishes in the kitchen so your first assumption was that Julieta was the one who was awake since she seemed to be the cook of the house. You soundlessly creeped downstairs and saw your assumption was right.

Julieta was moving around, doing cook stuff and when she turned around, she made a sound of surprise as she saw you, standing there and observing what she was doing. "Y/n, you're up early," Julieta smiled after she had collected herself.

"Couldn't sleep," you answered shortly, hearing how you sounded pretty ill.

"Oh, poor thing!" Julieta realized. "You must've gotten a cold yesterday. I'll make you some tea."

"Thank you," you smiled, sitting down at the little table that was in the kitchen. "I'd help you but I'm afraid I'm not the most helpful when it comes to cooking."

"Oh no need, dear. I'm very happy just with your company as well," she said kindly. "But could you maybe make a fire under the stove."

"Yeah, of course," you said, going in front of the stove before putting wood inside it and lighting it up. Truth be told, you were rather good at making fires. Why? Well... it's better not to ask questions sometimes.

After that, you and Julieta didn't really talk much. Then, when the time had ticked to about 10 minutes before 7, you could hear footsteps upstairs. You chuckled lightly although it sounded more like a cough. You sipped your tea before talking. "Early risers?"

Julieta smiled, looking back at you for a moment. "Yeah. Most of us are. I hope it doesn't disturb your family."

"It's no worries, we're all early risers too," you assured. Then silence ensued again when you stared out of the window, where you could only see gray due to the heavy rain and thought about everything at once but nothing particular at the same time. Zoned out, as one could say.

"Good morning, Tía Julieta," someone said sleepily from the door. You turned to see Dolores. "Oh and Y/n, good morning."

"Morning," you said simply and gave Dolores a soft smile while standing up to wash your mug.

"Oh, when you finish, can you help Dolores lay the table?" Julieta asked you, eyeing Dolores who was already carrying plates to the dining room. "You can put the mug you used to where you sit and use it."

"Yeah, I'll do that," you smiled, starting to gain energy now as it was the time when your brain was ready to start operating. Soon enough, your nose also decided to start running so you turned to Dolores as you were putting the mugs on the table. "Dolores, are there any tissues around?" You sniffled slightly. "I have a runny nose."

"Oh, they're in the kitchen," she smiled.

"Thank you," you said as you finished what you were doing before going to the kitchen and taking a tissue to blow your nose.

"Feeling better?" Julieta asked, when you finished and pocketed the tissue into your skirt.

"A lot," you admitted. "Is there any other way I can help? I finished with the mugs."

"You can-"

"Good morning!" Camilo announced cheerily, stepping in the kitchen, Antonio and your brothers right behind him. You gave him a nod before turning back to Julieta.

"You know what, you can just go sit and wait somewhere, let the boys do something too," she smiled before starting to give tasks to the boys. You decided to go and join Dolores on a bench.

"So," you started, drawing her attention. "I don't know much about you but you seem cool."

"You too," she smiled softly which soon turned mischievous. "I'm sure Camilo also thinks so."

You felt heat rising to your cheeks but you decided to ignore it. "Well obviously, he wouldn't want to be my friend if he didn't."

"If you say so," she said but you could tell she knew you were hiding something. But at that point, you yourself weren't sure if you were hiding something or not.