Chapter 1

Nandini

Pacing in my new room, where my mother-in-law brought me a few minutes back, I think about this new relationship I have gotten into.

I got married to Manik Sisodiya today, and I do not know how to feel about it.

Holding the edge of my lehenga's shawl in my hand, I twirl it around finger, untwirling it and twirling it again, feeling anxious about facing my husband with whom I did not have even one conversation before getting married.

I take a few deep breaths to calm myself and walk to the dressing table to look at myself dressed as a bride.

My makeup has perfectly covered the dullness of my face, the kohl in my eyes has hidden my puffy eyelids, the fake smile on my face that gave false assurance to everyone that I was happy with this marriage.

But I am not happy. Not at all.

The abrupt way in which my parents got me married has left me baffled and nervous. That too, just a few weeks after my brother’s death, who I am still mourning for.

My elder brother, Vivek Iyer, died about a month back.

Not died. He was—

I stop thinking about it, not wanting to plunge me into the depths of anguish I feel whenever I dwell about how he died.

My parents were devastated by their only son's death. I tried to console them and support them, but they shunned me from doing so.

After all, I am a daughter they never wanted in the first place.

I had once eavesdropped on my mother talking with her friend when I was ten years old.

It was then I understood why they never loved me the way they loved Vivek. Because I heard my mother say that they never wanted a daughter.

After Vivek's birth, they were content, not wanting any other child, but they later found out that she got pregnant again.

As the time came to know the gender of the baby, they were disappointed to find that they were going to have a daughter.

They wanted to abort the child but could not do it because of some medical complications.

That was the day I finally found out why my parents had been behaving indifferently with me ever since I could remember.

I became Iyer by birth in that family and by my name, but could never be a part of the Iyer family. My parents never accepted me and never loved me as their child.

It is not that they behaved badly with me. They took care of my basic needs. Sheltered me in their home, gave me food and clothes, and also provided me education.

They never misbehaved with me, never shouted at me, never talked rudely with me.

But they never cared for me, too. Never showed me love and affection. Never got concerned for me.

The way they behaved with me—it was as if I was non-existent to them.

And I meekly accepted her position too. I was grateful that although they did not accept me, they did not abandon me too.

They at least gave me their name and let me stay with them.

I never asked for more.

Although I yearned to be treated like a family by them, I was content with whatever crumbs of attention they threw at my side.

I never got my parents' love, but my brother loved me.

Vivek was three years older than me, and he accepted me as his sister with his whole heart.