Chapter 6

Third Person’s POV

Waking up the following morning, Nandini climbs down from the couch.

While walking toward the cupboard to get the change of clothes for the day, she looks at Manik sleeping on the bed.

She takes a deep breath, remembering the way Manik had apologized to her last night.

His apology had been sincere, and by the look in his eyes, she knew he meant every word he said.

But she cannot forgive him just like that.

She knows he has a reason behind getting tied to her in this marriage, but no matter the reason, she cannot forget he snatched her one chance at happy marriage, of having one happy family she had dreamed of since her teenage years.

Shaking her head at those thoughts, Nandini walks away to the bathroom to get ready for the day.

***********

Manik opens his eyes, hissing as he feels a splitting headache from the last night's hangover.

Pressing on his temple, he tries to remember the events of last night, but he can only remember drinking a few glasses of drinks in the bar he usually frequents.

Other than that, his mind is entirely blank.

He climbs down from the bed, and as he walks toward the bathroom, he sees Nandini walk out at the same time.

He takes a deep breath as his feet halts while he looks at her.

Her wet hair, some clinging to her face and some clinging to her neck, the face devoid of makeup showing the innocent glowing freshness on her face, everything about her too pure.

This is why he has been feeling guilty.

He does not know what, but there is something in her that exudates innocence. Something in her that pricks his conscience for doing wrong to her.

That is why he has been trying to be cold toward her, wanting to make himself believe that she is cunning so he would stop feeling so damn guilty every time he looks at her.

And she has not asked any questions to him too. Not one question about why he married her if he did not want to give her the rights as his wife. Not one question regarding the reason behind getting her tied to this unwanted marriage.

He snaps out of his thoughts when she clears her throat, drawing his attention.

"You came home late last night, drunk out of your senses," Nandini begins calmly, but Manik feels  irritated due to her words.

"Don't forget, Nandini. I have not given you any rights as my wife. So, you don't get to nag me about drinking or coming late." He grits his teeth, not knowing why he is getting so annoyed by that one question.

It can be because he has had so many things on his mind recently. The anger toward Myra, the guilt of bringing Nandini into this marriage, the sadness of his broken heart, and the betrayal from Raghav.

All these things seem to have taken away his ability to have a stable mood. One moment he feels angry, then guilty the very next moment, and annoyed the very next. All of his emotions seem to have jumbled up in his mind.

"I am not nagging you, Manik. I am just stating what happened last night. And as you said, I do not have any rights as your wife. So, I, too, don't want to fulfill any duty of being your wife.

"That is why, next time you come home drunken out of your senses, you can spend the night on the floor or wherever your swaying body takes you. Don't expect me to tend to you or put you in bed."