Chapter 17

Nandini

"Are you sure you are fine, Nandini? We can call Dr. Mehta again if you are not feeling well," Mom said to me, and I saw Dad nod, agreeing with her.

"No, Mom. I am fine. And Dr. Mehta came just two hours back. She said I did not have a fever anymore. So, there is nothing to worry about," I replied to Mom, careful not to reveal what Dr. Mehta had said to me about visiting a psychiatrist.

According to the doctor, my fever yesterday was due to mental stress.

"Our body and mind are interconnected. When something bothers our mind, it manifests in our body, sometimes as a headache or fever. It is better if you have a psychiatric consultation, Mrs. Sisodiya. That might help you."

The doctor had advised me, and I had nodded absentmindedly. I would not actually go and see the psychiatrist.

It is not because I think the doctor is wrong. But because I am not ready for it. I know I need therapy, but having therapy means facing my inner demons, and I know for sure I do not want to do it yet.

Although it makes me a coward, keeping my nightmarish memories and experience at the back of my mind would be easier than facing them. Because if I opened that box once, there would be no turning back. I will have to go through that pain, that hurt again. And I would have no one by my side to take support from.

'Support—another luxury that many people are given so freely and the luxury they often overlook or take for granted. If only they knew how people who do not have it crave for it.' The thought made my heart clench painfully.

I jolted out of my thoughts when I heard Manik speak. "Are you sure Dr. Mehta did not say anything else?"

Hearing his question, I narrowed my eyes at him.

I had requested Dr. Mehta not to tell anyone in the family about my need for the psychiatric consultation, and she had agreed.

'Did she tell Manik about it?' I thought, looking at Manik's questioning face.

I would have told him to mind his own business and not to interfere in mine, but his parents were also in the room, and I could not possibly tell him that in front of them.

'Why does he care anyways? After all, he had told me not to bother him with my sob story anymore,' I wondered, still looking at him.

"Will you only look at me instead of answering my question, Nandini?" Manik said to me.

I was not surprised by his rude tone because I was used to it. But I heard Mom gasp.

"Is that the way to talk with your wife, Manik?" Mom gave him a stern look.

I tried hard to control my chuckle when I heard her. 'This is nothing, Mom. If only you knew how your son talks with me when we are alone.'

"I am just concerned about her, Mom. That is why I asked her. I did not mean to sound rude," Manik said to his mother, and I was surprised at how convincing he sounded.

If I did not know any better, I would have really thought he was concerned about me. 'But I do know better. I know he does not give two hoots about me, let alone be concerned for me.'

"No, Manik, Dr. Mehta did not say anything else. She only told me to take a rest for a few hours today, and I will be able to return to doing normal work and physical activities from tomorrow," I lied and frowned when I noticed a look on his face that said he was not at all convinced by what I said.

***********

Manik

"You have two weeks, Vikash. I want you to use all your means. I will pay you double amount than the usual. But I want to know everything about Nandini's brother—Vivek Iyer. Find out everything about him, including his death. Do you understand?" I said to my private investigator.