Chapter 19

Nandini

Sitting in my chair, I start organizing everything on my desk.

I feel excited because this is my first job, my first step to becoming independent and making something of myself.

I am sure if Vivek were alive, he would have been proud of me.

I pause for a moment, emotional as I remember my brother, but I soon gather myself.

Manik has given me some letters to type and send to his clients, and I need to complete them in the next two hours.

Finally organizing the desk, I turn on the computer.

"I don't believe I have seen you here before." A voice makes me look up, and I frown at the man leaning on my cubicle.

He is well-dressed and has sharp features. But he seems to have a friendly demeanor, not a brooding one like Manik.

"Umm, yes, I am new here," I say, smiling politely at the man. "I am Nandini Iyer, Manik Sir's assistant."

The man smiles back at me. "I am Samrat Ahuja, Manik's friend and business partner."

I was surprised to hear that because I thought only Manik's family owned this business. I was not aware that they had a business partner.

"Nice meeting you, Sir," I say awkwardly, unsure of what I should say next.

I have never been comfortable talking with new people. That is why I never made friends in school and college. I always kept to myself, which is why everyone called me a freak. No one wanted to mingle with me.

"Am I so handsome that you are speechless looking at me?" Samrat asks.

"I am sorry, Sir. I didn't mean to stare. Actually, I have lots to do for now. So, I better get back to work," I tell Samrat and look at my computer screen, hoping he will soon leave from here.

As I continue staring at the blank screen, I feel Samrat peering at me. I don't know why he has not left even after I told him to go.

Well, I didn't say it directly, but he must have understood I meant that when I told him I should get back to work.

"Nice meeting you, Ms. Nandini Iyer," he says after a few seconds and leaves.

I sigh in relief as soon as he walks away.

I had told Manik I would be talking with others here, but at that time, I did not consider how hard it would be for me.

Shaking my head, I start to type the first email to send to the client when I hear someone clearing their throat.

I look to my side and see a girl smiling at me.

Here comes another one.

I sigh as I stand up from my chair.

"Hello, I am Nandini Iyer, Manik sir's new assistant," I introduce myself.

"I am Riya Sharma. I am Manik Sir's assistant, too," she says, and I frown at her.

I remember Manik telling me about giving his other assistant a fully-paid vacation for a month. I knew then that he had done it to make the job challenging for me.

Did he cancel her vacation?

"Are you confused about me being Manik Sir's assistant too? Didn't he tell you he always has had two assistants?" Riya asks me.

"Yes, he told me about that. But he also told me he sent his other assistant on vacation. So, I figured I would be his only assistant for a while," I reply to her.