Chapter 13

Mature and sensitive content ahead. Reader's discretion is advised.

***********

Third Person's POV

Sitting on the bed in Manik's room with her back leaning against the headboard, Nandini turned the bedside lamp's switch off and on, staring ahead at the alternating contrast of light and darkness as she remembered her father's bitter words.

Her heart clenched painfully in her chest as she recalled him calling her his son's murderer.

She closed her eyes and let the tears fall as she recounted what had happened that fateful night and the events leading up to it.

***********

Vivek entered Nandini's room and sat beside her at the foot of the bed.

"I just met Rishabh. He and his parents were leaving, and I didn't get to talk with him much, but he told me you two had become good friends, especially after spending time together on your twentieth birthday six months back.

"It is nice that you have started coming out of your shell and started to make some friends. Good for you," Vivek told Nandini but frowned when she kept looking down to the floor and did not react or respond to what he said.

Keeping his hand on Nandini's shoulder, Vivek gently shook her, trying to get her attention.

"Nandini, did you hear what I said?"

Hearing the question, when Nandini looked up at him, Vivek gasped, seeing her red and puffy face. Her eyes were red, too, and Vivek realized she had been crying.

He narrowed his eyes when he saw a mark on her cheek. It looked as if someone had slapped her.

"Nandini, what happened? Why are you crying? And what is that mark on your face? Did Maa and Papa—" Before Vivek could complete that question, Nandini shook her head and stood up from the bed. She then walked to the corner of the room.

"It's nothing, Vivek. And Maa and Papa did not do anything," Nandini lied, hoping Vivek would drop the matter.

But Vivek walked up to her and made her turn to him. "Maa and Papa only used to be indifferent toward you before I went to the USA. Have they also started raising their hand on you in my absence? Because if they have, I will—" Vivek was saying when Nandini interrupted him again.

"It is not Maa and Papa. They have never raised their hands on me. Just leave it, ok." Nandini felt pained as well as angry for having to lie and hide things from her brother.

Peering at Nandini, who was hesitating to look at him while speaking, Vivek knew she was lying, and definitely, there was something that she was not telling him about.

Taking her hand, he kept it over his head.

Realizing what Vivek was about to do, Nandini tried to remove her hand, but Vivek's hold was too firm, not letting her move her hand.

"Swear on me and tell me it's nothing. Come on, if you want me to leave it, tell me there is nothing you are hiding from me," Vivek told her, and unable to take it anymore, Nandini burst out in sobs.

Seeing Nandini cry, Vivek loosened his hold on her hand, and before he could hold her, she slumped to the floor, continuing to sob.

Seeing her condition, Vivek immediately crouched in front of her and loosely hugged her, trying to calm her down.