Chapter 3

Third Person’s POV

Nandini hesitantly walks inside the kitchen to make breakfast because she is unsure whether she has the right to do so.

She had thought there would be a ritual of her making a sweet dish in the house as per the tradition, and her mother-in-law would show her how to do it and what to make for the first time in the kitchen.

But nothing of that sort happened.

No one is in the house and the kitchen, and no one seems to care that she is a newly wedded bride who came to this house just last night.

"What did you expect, Nandini? Your husband does not want you, so your in-laws also would not be fond of you," she says, opening the refrigerator to get the milk and make a cup of tea for herself.

She is about to light the gas when she hears someone gasp.

"What are you doing, Nandini? Today is your first day in this house and kitchen. We must first do the proper ritual before you can cook anything here," her mother-in-law, Nishitha Sisodiya, says to her, and Nandini is pleasantly surprised.

"Umm, Aunty, I did not see anyone when I came down. So, I thought to make tea," she replies, twirling the shawl of her salwar suit to curb her nervousness.

"Ok, first thing first. After you married Manik, you became the daughter of this house. So, you will call me Mom and call Siddharth Dad.

"And the second thing. Since today is your first day in this house, we will do a Puja (worship ritual), and as per the ritual, you will make a sweet dish for us today.

"So, nothing doing here now. You go out and let me make breakfast," Nishitha says to her, and Nandini feels overwhelmed.

Manik had told her last night that he would never consider her his wife, and they would only pretend to be husband and wife in front of his parents and the outside world.

Since then, she did not have any expectations from anyone in this house.

That is why she is pleasantly surprised, seeing the welcoming gesture of her mother-in-law.

"Why are you still here, Nandini? Go out and wait for me. I will instruct our cook on what to make for breakfast today, and we will then do the Puja. Also, please go to your room and call Manik down for the Puja." Nishitha smiles at Nandini and proceeds to instruct their cook who comes in right that moment.

Nodding at Nishitha, Nandini walks out of the kitchen and climbs the stairs to go to Manik's room.

'Not my room.' She notes, deciding that if Manik cannot accept her, she too cannot accept anything that is his.

She enters the room and sees Manik standing in front of the mirror, wearing his tie.

"Umm, Mom has called you downstairs for the Puja," she tells him.

Manik frowns when he hears Nandini. "I told you last night that this marriage means nothing to me. So, why are you calling my mother Mom?

"For a moment, I assumed you to be different because you did not cry or make a fuss after I told you the reality of our marriage.

"But you are also like the other girls. I know you are from a middle-class family, so your eyes must have shone seeing this grand mansion. You must have decided to make a good relationship with my parents, trying to pave a way for yourself to stay here forever.

"Before you start dreaming about living a rich and extravagant life, do mark my words, Nandini. You will never get the status of being my wife. You will be out of here once I am done achieving what I want to achieve by marrying you," Manik finishes speaking, anger eminent in his voice.