Chapter 27

Sensitive content ahead. Reader's discretion is advised.

***********

Third Person's POV

"This is so beautiful," Nandini says, running her fingers over the soft fabric of the gown.

It was a light blue gown with elegant lace works and a full, floor-length skirt.

The lace works seem so intricate that she is in awe as she runs her hands through them. She has never owned a dress so beautiful.

"I am glad you liked my work," Latika says, smiling at Nandini.

"Of course, Latika. Anyone would like your work. After all, you are one of the best designers we have." Nishitha beams at her friend, also in awe of the gown she designed for Nandini.

Nodding gratefully at Nishitha, Latika looks at Nandini. "Can you come to my boutique tomorrow evening, Nandini? I was supposed to bring the jewelry for you to wear with this gown, but I could not because it was not ready yet. Since it is specially designed to go with this gown, we needed to make sure to use the perfect stones in them."

Nandini frowns when she hears that. "Jewelry? But I thought you were only designing the gown. I can wear the white diamond set that Mom gave me after the wedding. I do not need the specially made jewelry for it."

Latika gasps, making a face as if she is horrified by Nandini's words. "Of course not, Nandini. A white diamond set with this gown? It will completely take away the essence if you do so."

Saying that, she turns to Nishitha. "Is your daughter-in-law really going to wear the set?"

"No, Latika. Don't worry. I will bring Nandini to your boutique tomorrow," Nishitha reassures her friend.

"But, Mom—" Nandini tries to interject when Nishitha interrupts her.

"Nothing saying, Nandini. That set won't go with this gown. And you should be happy you are getting a new set. All women love jewelry, after all," Nishitha smilingly says to Nandini.

'But I only love the jewelry that I can afford. And right now, I can't even afford a simple gold chain, let alone the specially designed jewelry by one of the country's best designers.' Nandini sighs.

"That's good then," Latika says, and taking the gown from the couch, she hands it to Nandini. "Go and wear this, Nandini. I have made it according to your measurements, but we still will need to check if the fitting is fine.

"Only seven days are left for the ball. So, if any alteration is needed to be done, I will need to finish it before that."

"Umm, sure." Smiling at Latika, Nandini walks to her room with the gown to wear it.

***********

"I am sorry. I can't go out with Aastha today," Nandini tells Samrat.

They are both seated at Nandini's desk, with Riya sitting on the desk beside Nandini's.

"But why? I also needed to do some shopping, and I was hoping to tag along with you and Aastha," Riya says.

"Sorry, Riya. I have some work to attend to in the evening. Otherwise, I would have definitely come," Nandini replies to Riya.

"What important work?" Samrat asks, and Nandini shifts uneasily in her seat.

After all, she cannot tell them she is going to Latika's boutique with her mother-in-law in the evening to get the jewelry suited for her gown.

They will go nuts on her if they find out she is not only married but married to Manik Sisodiya, Riya's boss and Samrat's friend.

"I cannot tell you about it, so please don't ask," she says, standing up from the desk. "I need to get these papers signed by Manik."

Saying that, she is about to walk to Manik's cabin when Samrat stops her.

"How about tomorrow then, Nandini? Can you please go with Aastha tomorrow?" Samrat asks. "Actually, Aastha really wants to meet you. She says she is curious to know you after I told her so much about you."

"Yes. I also am free tomorrow. Please, Nandini? Let us both go with Aastha and do some shopping," Riya adds, looking hopefully at Nandini.

"Ok. Let's go out tomorrow then," Nandini says, shaking her head as she looks at the excited faces of Samrat and Riya due to her answer.

***********

"I need your sign on these documents," Nandini says once she enters Manik's cabin.

Nodding at Nandini, Manik checks the documents first before signing on them.

"It's surprising that you have any work done with Samrat sitting at your desk all day," he says, slightly miffed.

Nandini sighs, hearing Manik. "He does not sit there the whole day, and you know that."

"But I don't get why he sits there at all. You don't see me hanging with you and Riya on your desks, talking and laughing with you two. This is our workplace, and we come here to work."

Nandini chuckles, unable to stop the image being conjured in her mind.

Manik frowns at that. "It is not a laughing matter. I am serious, Nandini."

"I know you are serious. It's just that when you said you don't come to my desk to talk and laugh, I imagined you doing that, and you looked funny," she explains, but Manik's frown deepens hearing her.

"What do you mean? I look funny when I laugh?" He asks.

"How would I know?" Nandini counters. "I have never seen you laugh."

Standing up from his chair, Manik walks toward where Nandini is standing.

Once he reaches her, he takes her hand, tightening his hold when she tries to take it away.

"What are you doing, Manik?"

"Let's go out for dinner tomorrow," Manik says.

Shaking her head at him, Nandini tries harder and is finally able to free her hand.

"I am not going anywhere with you, Manik."

"But why? You said you would let me try, Nandini."

"Right. I had said that," Nandini tells him. "But trying does not mean ordering me around. If you want to go out with me, find a way to make me say yes to that."

Saying that, she takes the signed documents and walks out of the cabin, leaving confused Manik behind.

***********

"I do not want you to screw this up. Do you understand?" he says, grabbing her hair and yanking it back, making her hiss in pain.

"I understand, Sir. I will do everything according to your plan," she replies, looking fearfully at him, making no attempt to free her hair from his grip, no matter how much it hurt her.

Satisfied by the way she fearfully looks at him, he smirks, tightening his grip on her hair for a few seconds before pushing her to the floor.

"Kneel," he orders her, smiling as she immediately takes the position.

Sitting comfortably on the couch, he looks at the kneeling girl in front of him.

'Soon, Nandini. Soon, this will be you. Doing everything as per my command,' he thinks, imagining how beautiful she would look with his fear marring his face and marks given by him marring her entire body.

"Stand up and strip, Nandini," he instructs the girl.

She stands up but does not strip. "Sir, I am not Nandini."

Balling his hands into fists, he stands up from the couch and walks to the girl.

He glares at her with such potency that she cowers under that look.

She lowers her head in fear, but he clutches her jaw roughly to make her look at him.

"I don't care what your name is. You are just one of the toys I collected to play with, and being your owner, I have the right to call you by any name I want. Get that?"

"So..ssorry, Sir," she stutters, tears gathering in her eyes as he rips her clothes.