Chapter 29

Manik

“Do you like the place?” I ask Nandini, looking at her from across the table.

The moment she said yes to going out with me, I had felt ecstatic. A little hope budding in my heart about the possibility of her giving our marriage a chance as time passes by.

I know I will need to work harder to gain her trust and hopefully her love too one day, but I feel she is worth it. She is worth trying for, worth waiting for.

Not only did she agree to come out for dinner with me, but she also wore the dress I bought for her. The dress she had loved when we had gone to the mall that one day.

I was waiting for her in the living room when she descended the stairs, the dress looking as if it was made for her.

The red color complementing her skin tone, the design accentuating her curves. And with elegant makeup she put on, I could only stare at her, my breath hitching as she ambled toward me with a slight smile on her face, looking like an angel.

She had frowned when I did not say anything for a while, clicking fingers in front of me to make me come out of my haze.

I had sighed then, lowly chuckling and shaking my head, unable to believe how, I, Manik Sisodiya, fell head over heels with Nandini Iyer, who is such a contrast to other girls I used to date.

May be it is because she is such a contrast that I fell for her.

“This is a beautiful place, Manik,” she replies, looking around the place.

I too look around, glad that I brought Nandini here. The ambience here is warm, the live music soothing, and people have been raving about the delicious food here in their reviews.

That is why I thought this place would be perfect for our first date.

I am not sure if Nandini thinks of it as a date, but for me it is. And I will make sure it goes smoothly, without any hitch, not letting any awkwardness seep between us.

“So, the ball is only five days away. I hear that your gown is ready now. All alterations done?” I ask.

Although I am itching to see how she looks in that gown, I want to wait until the ball.

Mom even asked me if I want to see the photo that she took while Nandini was wearing it but I refused, wanting to wait until that night.

I know it is somewhat silly, but I want to savor each moment seeing her in that beautiful gown custom made for her. I want to be with her that whole night, drinking her in, making new memories with her.

There is still no surety about what will become of us in the future. I do not know whether she will give our relationship one more chance or not.

But no matter the outcome, I will keep trying, making new memories with her, that will either serve as a beginning of our forever, or they will become the wistful memories to remember Nandini after she walks out of my life.

When I told Nandini I will respect whatever decision she will take, I meant it.

Some time back, I had come across a saying. It was something like—she was love which is why I let her go. If she was obsession, she would be in my arms.

I had huffed at the saying at that time, unable to understand why someone would let their love go.

But now, I have realize why I felt that way about it. It was because I had never loved anyone truly until then.

It is now that I have fallen for my wife, do I realize how true those words are. I love Nandini and I desperately hope she stays with me forever. But I won’t force her to be with me. It should be her decision, her free will, to either choose me or leave me.