Chapter 33

Nandini

I look in awe around the ballroom, fascinated by the vintage aura it exuded. The way everyone is dressed, the lights, and the designs made me feel that, walking through the door, I suddenly entered an older era.

The chandelier above covered the entire hall in a warm light, perfectly complimenting the classic interior decorations.

"He really brought you as his date, then? To be honest, I didn't expect Manik actually to go through with this," Samrat says when he reaches us, a teasing glint in his eyes as he looks at Manik.

"Shut it, Samrat," Manik glares at him.

"Oh, come on, Man. We are at a party. Try to shed your grumpy look for once and enjoy the ball. What's the use of bringing such a beautiful date with you when you will be brooding all evening," Samrat says to Manik and turns to me.

"You look absolutely exquisite, Nandini. I didn't know blue was your color," Samrat says appreciatively.

I mildly smile at him.

"Thank you, Samrat. But I guess that much of a compliment is enough. Otherwise, your date might get mad at you for turning your attention to another woman," I tell him, looking at Aastha beside him.

Looking at her fidgety behavior, I frown. She seemed so distracted looking around her that she completely missed what I said.

"Aastha, are you fine?" I call her.

She whips her head at me and gives me a nervous smile. "of co-course. I...I am f-fine."

My frown deepens when I hear her stutter.

She was not this way when we had gone shopping along with Riya last time. She had been shy and hesitant, but she also seemed happy then, as if she was truly content going shopping with us.

At the end of the day, she had even said goodbye to us tearily, letting us know how beautiful the day was for her.

Although Riya and I had found her behavior weird at that time, somewhere, I had felt a pinch in my heart, too.

She was genuinely upset to leave us that day and also looked slightly apprehensive about returning home.

Being bothered by that, I called Samrat after returning home to ask him about Aastha's parents because her behavior made me wonder if she was being maltreated at home.

But when Samrat told me he had met her parents and they seemed like good people, I had dropped thinking about it then, deciding to talk with Aastha the next time I met her.

After that day, we are meeting for the second time here tonight at this ball.

"Aastha, do you want to accompany me to the washroom?" I ask her, hoping she will agree. That will give me a chance to talk with her privately and ask about her behavior that day.

I will also ask why she looks so anxious tonight, too.

"Umm, I do-don't want to go," she says, clenching and unclenching her hands.

"What is the matter with you tonight, Aastha?" Samrat asks, looking disappointedly at her. "You are neither talking properly with me nor do you seem like you are interested in being here. You are way too distracted. You could have told me if you didn't want to come with me tonight."

Aastha shakes her head, looking apologetically at Samrat. "No. I am s--"

She abruptly stops, and her face suddenly clouds with fear. The very next moment, she presses her gloved hand to her ear, and my brows furrow at her odd action.