Chapter 22

Nandini

"This is just too delicious, Nandini. It is good that you don't cook every day. Otherwise, I would have gotten fat already," Dad says, keeping another dosa on his plate.

"You are right, Siddharth. Whenever Nandini cooks, I need to give extra 30 minutes to the gym to burn the calories after eating so much," Mom adds before putting another morsel in her mouth.

I smile at them, glad they like the masala dosa and coconut chutney I made for breakfast today.

Manik is also at the table, eating his second dosa, but as always, he does not say anything about liking or not liking the food.

Not that I care about his opinion, but he could at least say one word of appreciation to the person who made him breakfast.

Shaking my head at his attitude, I stand up from the table. I am about to walk to the kitchen to wash my plate when Manik stops me.

"Umm, the dosa was delicious. Thank you," Manik says, surprising me.

Are my ears ringing? Or did he really thank me?

My expression must have given away my thoughts because an amused smile curves Manik's lips.

Standing up from the table, he comes closer to me. "You heard it right, Nandini. I did thank you. And it was not only for today but for all the times you cooked in this house. Anything you make is always delectable." Saying that, he walks away.

"Nandini, aren't you getting late for the office?" Dad asks me, and I jolt out of my stunned stupor.

"Umm, yes. I will go and wash this plate first," I reply and walk to the kitchen.

***********

"Good morning, Sir," I greet Samrat as he passes by me, about to enter Manik's cabin.

"How many times do I have to tell you, Nandini? You can call me Samrat inside the office too. No need to be so formal with me." He winks at me, and I shake my head.

I have made two good friends in this office in the last two weeks. One is Riya, and the other is Samrat.

Both of them helped me understand how everything worked in the office.

For the first week, it was Riya, but when she got sick and had to take a few days off, Samrat helped me when he saw me scrambling to finish the work alone without Riya.

We also meet outside office hours. Sometimes we go for coffee, and sometimes Samrat takes Riya and me out for lunch.

I call him by his name outside the office, but I am uncomfortable doing so inside. After all, he is my boss here.

"You know why-" I begin to reply, but he interrupts me.

"I know the reason, Nandini. But you don't need to feel uncomfortable. Even Riya calls me by my name," he says.

Just then, Manik exits his office, narrowing his eyes when he sees Samrat in front of my desk.

"What are you doing here?" he asks, and I frown at his harsh voice.

What is his problem?

"In case you have forgotten, this is my office too, Manik, and I come here daily," Samrat replies good-naturedly.

"Exactly my point. This is our office. You ought to be in your cabin, working there, not in front of my assistant's desk, wasting her and your time," Manik says to Samrat.

It's not his problem. It's his nature. Always rude and uptight.

I roll my eyes at the thought.