Chapter 16

Manik

"Thank you for coming at such short notice, Dr. Mehta," I thanked the doctor, leading her to our room to check on Nandini.

She was lying on the bed where I had placed after she fainted a while back.

"That's quite ok, Mr. Sisodiya. Would you like to wait outside while I check on Mrs. Sisodiya?" She asked me.

Nodding at the doctor, I walked out of the room, letting her check on Nandini.

As I paced outside my bedroom, I felt a guilt creep into me as I remembered Nandini's teary face and voice.

'You fucked up big time, Manik. You really did.'

I could not deny my inner voice when it taunted me.

"Of all the girls I could have chosen to marry for my revenge, I chose this one. Why?" I felt angry at myself as her heartbreaking wails rang in my ears.

I took a few deep breaths, trying to eliminate the suffocating feeling.

"How could I have known she was an unwanted daughter by her parents? How could I have known she had been suffering at the hands of her parents since her birth? How could I have known her story? No, I am not at fault. I am not." I tried to reassure myself, but it didn't help.

The guilt bubbled inside me, and I could not dampen it. I could not remove the pinch I felt every time I remembered how I told her not to expect anything from me on our wedding night.

I recounted how devastated she had looked when I said she was the unwanted wife. I felt a pinch in my heart as I recalled that moment. "Fuck! Fuck!! Fuck!!!"

How fucking insensitive of me. I wonder how she must have felt at that moment. From being an unwanted daughter her entire life to being an unwanted wife.

No wonder she did not throw any tantrums or get mad at me when I announced she and our marriage meant nothing to me.

At that time, I thought she did it because she had ulterior motives. But now I understand she did it because she was used to it.

She was used to being unwanted all her life, so she simply accepted when I said the same thing.

"And I kept taunting her and kept reminding her of her status in my life." I shook my head, feeling like an idiot, as I recalled those taunts.

I was brought out of my reverie when I heard my bedroom door open. As Dr. Mehta walked out of the room, I walked to her. "How is she now?"

"Mrs. Sisodiya had a high fever, and she looked dehydrated too. I injected her with an antipyretic. That will get the fever down. I also suggest you put cold sponges over her forehead, hands, and feet, which would help reduce the fever.

"Once she wakes up, try to make her eat and drink to hydrate herself. Give her a tablet of paracetamol if her fever does not go down in the next six hours. I will come to check on her tomorrow morning," the doctor replied.

"Thank you, doctor." Saying that I was about to walk inside the room, but Dr. Mehta stopped me.

"Mr. Sisodiya. There is one other thing I need to talk with you about," she said, and I frowned at the seriousness in her voice.

"What is it, doctor?"

"While I was checking on her, she continued to mumble something. It was incoherent initially, but as I listened closely, it sounded like, 'Not my fault, and they hate me.' Is there something that is bothering Mrs. Sisodiya?"

"Umm, yes, she has been distressed about something lately. Why?"

"Because I think that distress is the reason behind her condition. If something is bothering her deeply, maybe she would like a consultation with a psychiatrist?" The doctor asked me, but I was unsure how to reply.