Chapter 9 [Part 1]

What the hell? Did Cole just speak? No he can't of, I must have been imagining things.

"Tegan," Cole said again in the same small voice. This time I knew I hadn't imagined it because I saw his lips move. I can't believe it, Cole spoke and said my name.

"Did you just say my name?" I asked to make sure. Cole nodded his head and giggled.

"Wow! Say it again,"

"Tegan," Cole said and touched my arm.

"Oh my God! You said my name. You actually said my name. I didn't think you would speak until you were a man again," I told Cole in amazement. "Can you say something else?"

Cole shook his head 'no'. "That's a shame because you have a cute little voice,"

Cole beamed with happiness. I sat up and the next thing I knew, Cole had climbed into my lap and was snuggled into my chest.

"You love being close to me don't you?" I asked with a knowing look. Cole just looked deep into my eyes and wouldn't look away which confirmed my suspicion. I turned away because my eyes were getting uncomfortable like that.

"Tegan," Cole said and I turned my head back to look at him.

Cole reached up and put his tiny hand on my cheek, he did the same with his other hand and then stood up in my lap. His hands were really soft and his face ended up as close to mine as was possible. Cole looked deeply into my eyes again and this time I got lost into his blue ones.

We stayed looking into each other's eyes for quite a while but then my phone started ringing and my gaze turned to my phone. I looked at the caller ID, it was someone I wasn't expecting to call me, it was my adoptive Mum.

"Hi Mum what's up?" I asked nervously.

"I'm at the hospital," Mum started in a hoarse voice, it sounds as if she has been crying.

"What do you mean you're at the hospital? Are you ok? You're not hurt are you?" I began to worry.

"No I'm fine. It's Liam, he had an accident,"

"How?" I asked anxiously.

"A car knocked him over when he was crossing the road," Mum told me. Oh no! Poor Liam.

"When did this happen?"

"We just arrived at the hospital just now so not too long ago,"

"How is he?" I asked nervously.

"He's unconscious at the moment and we don't know if he'll wake up," Mum began to cry.

"It's ok Mum, don't cry. I'll be there as soon as I can. What hospital are you in?"

Mum mumbled the name of the hospital.

"Is Dad there?" I asked.

"No,"

"Ok don't worry Mum, I'll be there soon," I said before hanging up. I looked at Cole who looked at me with a confused look.

"My brother had an accident, I have to go and see my family at the hospital," I explained and Cole nodded in understanding.

I carried Cole down to the living room and was about to step out of the house with Cole in my arms but then I remembered I had no clue where I was so there was no way I could go to the hospital without knowing the way.

I grabbed my phone and dialled Diago's number. Thankfully he picked up after a few seconds.

"Hello," Diago answered.

"Hi Diago. It's me, Tegan. I need your help," I replied.

"Sure. Is everything ok?"

"No. My brother's had an accident and I need to see him but I don't know the way to the hospital," I began to panic, I had to go and see if he was ok and Mum needed me. I think Diago realised this because of what he said next.

"It's ok Tegan, calm down. I'm on my way. I'll take you to the hospital," Diago assured me.

"Really?" I asked with hope.

"Of course. I'll be there in a bit," Diago told me before hanging up.

I held Cole close in my arms and he patted my waist with his little hand.

15 minutes later, Diago arrived and I was in tears.

"It's ok Tegan. I'm going to take you to the hospital now," Diago told me.

I wiped my tears away before Diago gestured for me to follow him outside to his car. Once we were seated, Diago asked me what hospital my brother was admitted to and I told him.

The journey to the hospital was a silent one.

Half an hour later, we arrived at the hospital. I got out of the car once Diago had parked safely. I was about to head into the hospital but then I realised Cole was still in my arms.

"Diago could you stay here with Cole?" I asked.

"Yeah sure, why?" Diago replied.

"I can't take Cole with me or my family will start to ask questions,"

"Oh, I understand," Diago held his arms out to hold Cole. I handed Cole to Diago but just as I expected, he started to sob and squirm in Diago's arms.

"Cole now is not the time for this. I'm sorry, I can't take you with me," I told Cole apologetically.

"Diago why don't you take Cole home, I don't know how long I will be here," I suggested.

"Ok but call me when you're ready to come home and I'll pick you up," Diago agreed.

I kissed Cole on the cheek before turning away but I could hear him crying as I walked to the entrance of the hospital. I feel bad for leaving him with Diago but I had to because I don't know how to explain what I am doing with a baby. My family will jump to the wrong conclusion, they'll think Cole is my son. I can't tell them the truth, they are human and won't believe a word I say or understand.

When I was inside the hospital reception, I asked a Nurse where I could find my brother and she gave me directions to the ward he was at. I began to follow the directions she gave me but the closer I was getting to the ward Liam was in, the more anxious I began to feel because I didn't know what state Liam would be in when I saw him or if it was serious. All I could do was hope for the best.

Don't forget to vote, comment, follow me and add this story to your library to get a notification for the next update!