Ch. 4

"She has not returned or sent message," The Reflection grinned, happily taking in every second of Daniel's misery. "Perhaps you were wrong about her, and your judgment is not as good as you thought."
    Daniel scowled, and propped his feet onto the chess board, kicking off the pieces. He was not in the mood to play a game. "Be quiet and give me a moment to gather my thoughts."
     "You know I am right. You were either wrong about her skill or her loyalty, the question is which."
    Daniel heaved an exhausted sigh, "Impossible. I'm certain on both."
    "Maybe you were certain when she left, but now? Circumstances can change."
Daniel said nothing. If that was true, things were about to get ugly. It was bad enough to think his assassin had failed, but betrayal was another matter entirely. If that was the case, he not only lost his more powerful weapon, but put her in the hands of his enemy.
If that was the only reason for his stress, it would be one thing; unfortunately, that was a minor nuisance compared to the rambling of his unwanted, constant companion. The reflection had not stopped talking since daybreak. It was giving him a headache—or perhaps he was beginning to develop an illness; he did feel nauseous. On top of everything, this war was dragging out way longer than intended, and not at all going how he expected. Games are only enjoyable when you know which pieces belong to you—and Daniel no longer did. All these things drew hatred from him, and he glowered at the reflection.
    The reflection did not react any more than calmly stating, "Do not look at me that way, I am only telling you what you already know."
    "And I'm sure withholding a lot I do not," Daniel snarled, but went silent at the sight of Angelica, blinking in confusion.
    "Sorry to . . . interrupt . . ." She said, then handed him a cup of tea and smiled sweetly, "Olcarcioway tea, to help with the headache you were griping about."
    Though skeptical by her change in character, Daniel didn't spend more than a moment questioning it. Finally, it seemed, she had begun to realize just how miserable he could make her, and was smart enough to start trying to make up for her previously spoiled attitude. Even if that was not the case, he had no reason to complain. Still, he scowled as she handed him the tea. The reflection's smile darkened as he drank, and when Daniel finished, he glanced over at it in confusion.
    Daniel handed the cup back to Angelica and waved her from the room, "If that is all you came for, be on your way."
    Angelica smiled, "Actually, I am here to go over the wedding plans. I have a messenger delivering invitations, I hope this works for you." She handed him the guest list, "If there is any problem, I will have it changed immediately."
    All Daniel wanted was throw the list of names into the fire place in front of him along with his bride. He skimmed it then handed it back to her, "Looks fine." He had little time to waste on organizing social events.
    Angelica folded it back up and slipped it into her pocket, going on to discuss dates and times, to which Daniel simply nodded. "One more thing," She said at last "There is a visitor waiting to speak with you."
    "Could not a servant have delivered the message?"
    Angelica smiled at him, "Then I could not have brought you your tea." When she left the room, Daniel sunk into his chair. Though dreading the interaction, he knew better than to keep an important guest waiting. Besides, he thought, glancing at his mirror, he did not think he could stand being in the same room with the reflection a moment longer. When he stood, dizziness hit him so he stumbled, but recovering quickly, he brushed it aside and left the room.
    When Daniel entered the room, he saw the visitor waiting for him, and silently cursed his luck for the time of his arrival. He had come today of all days, when the inside of Daniel's head was pounding like it was pouring rocks, and his skin burned like his blood was lava bubbling to the surface. How had this sickness come on with no warning? Daniel convinced himself it was the wedding coming up and the bride with it that brought on this nausea, took a seat at the table, and ran a hand through his hair that had become thick with sweat. He tried not to think about how far from presentable he must look.
    The guest was a young man, early twenties at most; around Daniel's age. He looked familiar, with neat wavy blond hair that fell just above his shoulders, and hazel eyes. Daniel stared at him without saying anything for a moment, unable to recall exactly who he was. Daniel had never met him directly before.
    After raking his eyes over him, Daniel said, "What is your name."
    The man smiled pleasantly, "Eric Duillearga." The last name Daniel knew. "Lord Ruari Duillearga's son. As you know he passed away only a few months ago, and I inherited my father's money and his title. So that is why I am here in his place. He also shared with me the business between the two of you." He smirked, and something made Daniel want to slap it off his face. "I know what is really going on in this war. There's more to it than your people know, and in all honesty, I support the deception. It is wise, keeping the people ignorant so that we don't have to worry about a rebellion.  That is, if you can continue to keep it up."
    Daniel raised an eyebrow, "What are you speaking of?"
    "Rayland's power, and its wealth."
    Daniel questioned him on that. Why on earth would prosperity be a concern?
    Eric sighed and folded his hands, "Peasants are ignorant, but not entirely stupid. You, respectfully, my king, have never truly left the castle; however, I have gone to where the people live. I have heard their conversations, and they are suspicious. While the majority do not concern themselves with political affairs, they do have loved ones going off to war. Their husbands, brothers, and sons are dying, and they are beginning to ask why and what for. They may not know as much details as we do from noble gossip, but rumors spread among the poor as well. I've even heard the true reason behind this war is being leaked from outside sources. Many are beginning to question your honesty and intensions. We have done as much as we can to prevent their communication and contact with those from other kingdoms, however, despite our attempts it is not being stopped entirely."
    "Perhaps it's our Effulgence prisoners beginning these rumors." Daniel muttered.
    "I doubt the prisoners' minds are on war politics anymore; as you know, they are fed little, and commonly beaten and tortured for information. Most have gone insane. While it is possible some may be involved, the majority are focused on when their next meal will be."
    "Then share your thoughts. Clearly you have an idea."
"Well, people have been talking about some . . . interesting cults in the area . . .  It is shocking; they have not been settling anywhere near Rayland in decades—perhaps centuries."
     Daniel raised an eyebrow, "Cults?"
     Eric laughed softly, "Surely, your highness, you have heard about the magic cults. I know our citizens are ignorant to magic, but surely you, the king, even if only as a child, have heard of people who possess supernatural abilities."    
Daniel's eyes narrowed in confusion, "I have never heard of this."
    Eric smiled, "I guess I can see how; it may have seemed irrelevant to discuss, considering they have not been seen in ages. My father briefly mentioned the cults when he was alive, but to many they are only myths. I think that is narrow minded, and a view held only among the east kingdoms. I have heard the Northern kingdoms are filled with magic; it does not belong only to the clans. Even in Olcarcioway, where our future queen was raised, I hear it is commonly practiced. Only recently Olcarcioway has made ties with Rayland, much to everyone's surprise, for we know before that the Northern kingdoms had not worked with kingdoms from the east in centuries. That is why your marriage with Angelica is spoken of world wide as significant. After all these years, an alliance is being made between a Northern and Eastern kingdom. However, we both know that has not been the case for hundreds of years—but why? Why do you think the North and East are so separated?"
Magic was nothing new to Daniel, however, the idea that there were full cults, or even entire kingdoms that possess magic, was questionable at best. "You are saying you believe these myths?"
     "I do. I think magic is as real as anything else, as well as the cults."
    "And what would their motive be for involving themselves in a war between kingdoms?"
    "I could not tell you."
    "How powerful are they?"
    "Their magic allows them to manipulate earth's elements." Eric's face was grim, "We would not stand a chance."
    "Is there anything that can be done to stop the spreading of these rumors?"
    "I'm afraid not, however, something can be done to debunk them." Daniel motioned for him to continue. "If we were to withhold resources; maybe make ourselves appear a little less prosperous—perhaps then your story would be a bit more believable, and the rumors would die on their own."
    Daniel smiled, but there was no humor in it. "Your suggestion is I deprive my people?"
    "Is that really so beyond you? Forgive my bluntness, but what does a few hungry peasants' matter in comparison to the hierarchy of Rayland maintaining control?"
    "You make a compelling argument, Eric," Daniel admitted; he was right after all, pawns were made to suffer for the pieces of higher standing, die if needed. There was no point for a pawn to exist if not to serve its king, in a way, Daniel was doing his people a favor.
The discussion ended soon afterwards, and Daniel rose from his seat as Eric left. His mind immediately re-centered on what Eric had called 'magic cults'. Though they had settled on a solution, it did not give him comfort. If there really were people with such power who desired to destroy his reign, things would only become more difficult. Daniel longed for this war to simply end, if only King Adrien was dead. He was supposed to be, so he boiled with anger at the one who failed him: Alyssa.
    Daniel stormed back to his room and up to his mirror, looking his reflection in the eye, "Did you know Alyssa was not alone with her abilities? Did you know there were others with her magic?" His voice was ice.
    The reflection grinned wickedly and laughed. Daniel restrained himself, adamant about not adding another broken mirror to his collection, but with much difficultly. "What else have you been keeping from me?"
    "You honestly think I would share everything with you? Where is the fun in that? I do not owe you information, and I refuse to give any player, even you, an unfair advantage."
"I'm finished playing games. Tell me why Alyssa has not returned."
    The reflection leaned against the rim from inside the mirror, "You are so boring when you get like this." Daniel demanded again for the reflection to tell him, slamming his hand on the wall so that the mirror shook.
    The reflection repeated how much Daniel was ruining his fun, before giving in. "Alyssa saw through your lies a few days ago. You underestimated King Adrien's ability to persuade. The minute she discovered you had lied to her, she betrayed you."  The reflection's eyes were full of dark amusement, "You were an idiot to think she would never find out, and now that she has, the best card is in your enemy's hand. You had better think. Fast."
    Daniel knocked over his chess table in anger, and out of the scattered pieces retrieved the bishop, leveling it with his gaze. "She is as disposable as a pawn." His voice was so low he was sure God could barely hear.
     "Bring her back to Rayland and kill her."
    Daniel left the room in a hurry, shouting orders to his guards, "We have a traitor amongst us, and those I choose will go to Effulgence and retrieve her. Disguise yourselves, so that no one will recognize you as my men. Find Alyssa and bring her to me." The guards immediately left, preparing for their leave. They would succeed, because if not, they would wish Daniel was merciful enough to bless them with death.

Angelica reclined on Daniel's scarlet couch and sipped her tea. She fed off the shouts and orders Daniel was giving in the next room like they were candy. He sounded so panicked and outraged that it warmed her soul—but she wondered what put him in such a state. The king rarely concealed his anger, but frenzied outbursts were uncommon. Angelica left her room to see for herself what it was all about—but was distracted when she came across Daniel's favorite room, the one with the mirror; open, empty, and vulnerable.
    She entered—and froze--his table had been knocked over and his chess pieces were laying everywhere. His mirror was hanging crooked, and a dark presence drew her towards it. She walked over and gazed at her reflection—all seemed normal. From first glance, it was just a piece of glass hanging on a wall—but she was not convinced. Slowly, Angelica reached out, placing her palm in the center of the mirror, before she quickly withdrew it, eyes widening. The mirror was so cold her hand stung as if it had been burned. The lights in the room dimmed, and the air was thick with black magic. Angelica wondered how she had never noticed before—and even more what Daniel was hiding.
    She had just finished her thought when she heard Daniel returning, and wasted no time taking her leave and returning to her own chambers. Almost immediately on her return she scanned her bookshelves top to bottom. It had to be somewhere. It had been a while since she had used this spell book; even so, she couldn't imagine she had allowed herself to lose it. No matter how often the books were put into use, all of them were invaluable. A moment later, Angelica spotted it: a large brown book with gold writing in a language most would consider undecipherable: gulimashai; it was spoken only between witches, said to have been created by demons. Angelica didn't know if that was true, nor did she care. She snatched the book off the shelf, mercilessly letting the books around it tumble to the floor and gazed at it as if it was a newfound treasure. She flipped it open and blew away the dust gathered on the pages, sliding her finger down the page until reaching the letter M, and scanned the words beneath it, until finally she found the what she was looking for: mirrors. There was a page number beside the word, and she wasted no time flipping to that spot in the book:
    Mirror Magic:
Mirrors are commonly used as vessels for magic; whether that be portals, passageways, or communication with those who are deceased or otherworldly. Another use, that involves much more risk, is sight. This spell is difficult to unlock (see page 450) and even more difficult to reverse. Sight is a summoning spell that gives life to your reflection, so that if the user were to speak to the mirror, it would have the ability to respond. Through the magic used in the summoning spell, the reflection would have full knowledge of what is happening anywhere at any time. If it chooses to share the information it possesses with you, it is an invaluable power—but not without a cost. The use of sight is dangerous; this is because the spell does not simply bring your reflection to life, but rather, summons another life force into the mirror disguised as your reflection.  The relationship between the summoner and the reflection is give and take; in many cases whatever is summoned will attempt to blackmail, manipulate, or even swap places with its summoner; it will roam freely in their body while the summoner is trapped in the mirror. If the summoner dies without reversing the summoning spell, whatever has been summoned does not leave, but resides in the mirror until it finds its next host (the next person to use that mirror). That new host will then see their own reflection and be able to access the sight that had been summoned by the previous user; often, without even knowing what it is. The longer that life force takes precedence in the mirror, the stronger it will become, and the harder it will be to reverse the spell. If you come across a life force in a mirror that you did not summon, it should be immediately sent back. Do not ignore this warning.
    Was it possible? Angelica wasn't sure. It was hard to believe—but she had felt something in Daniel's mirror; that was not up for question. If it really was sight being used, she was sure Daniel was not the summoner. She could not be entirely sure, but the king seemed ignorant when it came to magic, and it was no surprise—she was in an eastern kingdom now. Magic wasn't practiced, and neither was witchcraft. That made the darkness she had sensed even more mysterious. How great of threat would this black magic be? With a sigh, Angelica leaned back against her bed. She convinced herself it was nothing to worry over, and refocused on what she could be sure of: within a week of their marriage the king would be dead, and she would be queen—Rayland would be under her rule alone.