Ch.9

The ball was extravagant. Guests were spread out across the room already forming groups amongst themselves. She took note of the intermixing between Effulgence and those from other kingdoms; still, Alyssa worried it would be pointless. She knew Adrien was using tonight as an attempt to build alliances, but she wondered if that was even possible. While Effulgence was well liked, not many kingdoms were looking to get involved in a war against Rayland. Their fear was justified, but bitterness boiled inside Alyssa. She was unable to grasp how fear was enough to let hundreds of people die and a kingdom lose it's freedom.
     Tables of appetizers drew in crowds of people, while soft violin music created a peaceful atmosphere for dancing couples. This was not Alyssa's first ball; Rayland had had many like it. However, this was the first where she was being watched. The Effulgence guards eyed her from the sidelines; Brutus and Alain seeming the most suspicious out of all of them. So she tried not to move from their line of vision and instead swayed to the beat of the music.
      She had been doing so nearly half an hour when a table covered in white cloth lined with gold caught her eye. She walked over, examining the strange fruit that was spread out in small bowls across the it, and though she did not recognize it, she put a piece in her mouth anyway. I did not taste familiar either. It was odd she had never seen it at the parties in Rayland, considering how many royals from foreign kingdoms would show up. When she was younger, she had enjoyed reading about faraway lands: some not even mapped. Her adoration for their differences had not faded over the years. Anything new captured her attention; plants, animals, dress, or food. She would get carried away in her books, and dreamed of travel and exploration. Yet, her recent arrival at Effulgence was the first time as far back as she could   remember she had left Rayland.
     The aftertaste of the fruit stung her tongue. Then suddenly, though just a moment ago the fruit had tasted strange and unfamiliar, she was hit with a strong feeling of familiarity that ran like a shock through her body. Everything went blurry—and then it was as if she had been swallowed by her own mind; scenes flashed before her so quickly it made her dizzy, though all of it was clear. Alyssa saw herself as a child, about three or four, laughing in a place she didn't remember. It lasted a few seconds before it disappeared and the next vision began; this time she looked her current age. She stood drenched in blood surrounded by the sound of screams, and saw the world around her light up in flames—but her face was void of fear. The next scenes came and went so fast she could not fully grasp what was happening; then, as if being yanked from one world to another, she found herself back in reality. In front of her was the table of fruit, and once more she could hear the music in the background. She blinked a few times, trying to regain full consciousness, when she realized a boy was standing beside her, and startled. He was only a few inches taller than Alyssa was, and couldn't have been older than 16. He had tousled light brown hair, and was musing at her reaction.
"You ate the Aiwirith fruit, right? Be careful how much you take of that, it starts to mess with your mind after a while . . ." he said, then stuck a piece of it into his own mouth, "it probably seems weird to you; but everyone eats this stuff where I come from. Some like its effects. People like me, who enjoy receiving the supernatural messages, or getting a glimpse into their past or future. The thrill of wondering just what on earth the fruit could be trying to tell you. The message is different for every person."
"You're saying it talks to you?"
"Of course," The boy said, already on his second piece, "It varies; sometimes it is just a flash of something small, sometimes it is an entire vision, but there is always something." With a grin, he glanced outmost unbearable. It makes me rather sad."
"Indeed. Are you from Effulgence?"
"Not exactly."
"Then where? And what is your position, if you do not mind my asking? Duchess? Countess? Marchioness? If you are a queen, forgive me for being so forward."
Alyssa laughed, "No, definitely not. I'm not all that important . . . I work here, but I am nothing yet. I guess you could say I am something of a guard . . ."
"A guard? I have never known one to be so beautiful," the boy said with a charming smirk. Alyssa blushed against her will at his bluntness.
"My guards are always beautiful, Jacob, you should know that." Alyssa spun around to find Adrien standing behind her, grinning widely--an expression she had not seen on him before tonight. Watching Adrien smile like that made her smile too.
"Of course, your majesty . . ." Jacob said with a low bow that did not look genuine, "I have to admit, Brutus looks stunning tonight."
Adrien chuckled, then turned to Alyssa with a polite smile, "It seems you have one of my lifelong friends, and the prince of Aiwirith, Jacob Ashburner."
"Well, pleased to meet you," Jacob said with a smile, and kissed her hand.
"And you," she responded, dipping into curtsy. Adrien laughed, but it died out when he caught sight of the table filled with fruit. Alyssa froze at the sharp look in his eye.
"Interesting choice of gift . . ." He began, voice much colder than it had been a moment ago.
Jacob sighed, as if he had been expecting that reaction, "If you live in fear of it, you'll never learn from it Adrien."
Adrien crossed his arms. "There was a reason that fruit was banned for a time, Jacob . . . from both of our Kingdoms."
"Yes, but that does not mean it was a good reason." Jacob said, his humor gone, "And only because they did not understand it. The fruit is meant to guide people, not scare them." Adrien looked uneasy, and Jacob continued, "It is true it does not always tell us what we want, but you have to accept your story; no matter what that story is."
The two of them stared down at each other in silence for a few moments, before Adrien turned to Alyssa, "Care to dance?" With a smile, Alyssa accepted. After being bored out of her mind for most the night, she decided it was about time she started enjoying herself.
As Adrien led Alyssa to the center of the room, Alyssa glanced around and realized she had never danced at the balls she had attended in the past. She had always stayed in the background, hidden in the shadows. It was important that Daniel kept some secrecy about who Alyssa was and what plans he had for her, so the public did not begin to ask questions. To the world, it would seem odd that a young girl could qualify as assassin, and if Daniel wanted to ensure her magic would be kept secret, he could not have people asking questions. She had grown comfortable residing on the sidelines; now, standing in the spotlight with the king, she was made aware of all the eyes on her; it took exceptional effort for her to block them all out. Adrien, amused, ended up having to patiently repeat instructions, and guide her through the steps.
When Alyssa finally got her mind off the crowd, rather than focusing on the dace, it carried her back to the fruit. Adrien was always calm and understanding, even with her, who had tried to end his life. Yet, his eyes had been so sharp when he'd looked at Jacob.
The curiosity did not leave her mind for the rest of the evening.
As the night drew to an end, Alyssa watched the guests take their leave. Already, decorations were getting taken down, and the tables of food were being rolled out into the hall. Yet, the table of fruit remained, and Jacob was no where to be seen.
The emptiness of the room made Alyssa feel awkward, so she slipped out onto the balcony. The sky had cleared slightly, and soft moonlight lit up the rain drops on the railing. Alyssa took a deep breath and smiled. She felt as if it had been a lifetime before she had last gone outdoors.
The time flew as she stared off into the sky. By the time she returned to the ballroom, the guests had left; the once lively room was empty and dark—she could only vaguely see the palms of her hands by the moonlight sneaking in. Her first thought was panic: did the guards assume she had made a run for it? Were they looking for her? If she slipped into her bed now, maybe she could pretend she had been there the whole time. Considering her lack of better options, she turned to exit the room and do just that, when she heard a whisper echo from the other side of the room. Curious, Alyssa glanced over and heard the sound again, coming from the table with Jacob's fruit—and saw it had been left, untouched since the party. She ducked behind a nearby table to see who it was—and her eyes widened when she did. He whispered again, and when she saw him stick the last piece of fruit from the bowl into his mouth, she knew it would be best if she forgot about this and returned to her room. She spoke anyway.
"What is it telling you Alain?"
Startled, Alain spun around and peered at her through the darkness. He was silent for a moment, and after finding words, spoke quietly, "We are in trouble, Alyssa."
It was a simple response, and though Alyssa still did not understand why Alain had eaten practically all of the fruit Adrien so despised, she stood and asked, "What are you talking about?"
Alain walked over and leaned against a table beside her, "I am realizing how important it is to truly know the enemy."
"Alain, whether you believe me or not, I know Rayland is the enemy. I know you do not trust me, and I do not blame you for that. But you do not need to try to continue to convince me of something I am already sure of; Daniel is evil."
Then Alyssa was greatly taken aback, because Alain laughed, and said, "You would think so, would you not? After everything; after we finally have you, and are closer to saving Effulgence from war, and our people from destruction. You would think it would be simple; that Rayland is what we have to fear."
Alyssa stared at him for a long time before whispering, "Are you saying Rayland is not the enemy?"
"No. Rayland is certainly an enemy--at least right now." He paused for a moment, "But they are not our greatest threat. There is more."
"What?" The word was barely more than a murmur.
"That is the problem, Alyssa, I do not know." Alain laughed again, bitterly, "That is the irony of the fruit; it will give you a glimpse of the future but never fully explain it. All I know from what it has told me is that if things remain as they are, all this death and war will be for nothing. Right now, Rayland and Effulgence are at each other's throats, but for what . . . neither side wins."
Alain left after that. For a moment, Alyssa wondered if she had imagined it all. Had she really found Alain with an empty plate of foreign fruit tonight, mumbling to himself? Only to later hear him, the only man aside from Brutus who had ever expressed devout hatred towards Rayland, say that it was longer Effulgence's greatest threat? That this war that he had poured everything into was meaningless? Yet, the memory was vividly clear.
Alyssa walked over to the empty plate, stuck her finger in the juice and placed it to her tongue. Before her finger even left her mouth, she heard a soft voice in her ear: your story is being rewritten Alyssa. You are no longer the King of Rayland's puppet; now, you begin you journey to finding your true destiny. Prepare yourself, for everything is about to change. You think your life is different now, just wait. A bigger war is coming. The words made her shiver, like a breeze in autumn. Be the moonlight in this darkened war. When the words stopped coming, Alyssa shook her head; and headed straight for the door.
There was no comfort in the visions, but she supposed truth was rarely comforting. After all, it seemed no matter who the enemy was or where she ended up; no matter what side, good or bad, there would always be war. She would shed blood. It would spill; covering her hands, and staining her heart. Out of all of life's uncertainties one thing was guaranteed: death was unavoidable. She was not trying to escape it, only direct it. One man dies and their kingdoms would be under dictatorship and destruction; another dies and they're at peace. She did not know of the war to come, but she knew the one she was involved in now, and the choice she had made. Certainly, killing one selfish man must be a good sacrifice if it kept thousands of good men from slavery and manipulation. If someone had to put to death the man who was standing in the way of peace, it might as well be her. She convinced herself of this as she drifted off to sleep