Ch. 28

Alyssa followed her older brother while holding tightly to Calvin's hand. Alain's pace was fast, his mind was lost, and his eyes were on the road ahead. Alyssa had not bothered to ask where they were going or what was going on, her brother's face was distressed, and hands were shaking from more than just the cold.
    Although, it was very cold. With every step their feet sunk into the snow, and it was beginning to soak through their shoes. Alyssa glanced at Calvin to see the little boy shivering, his eyes glossy and cheeks flushed. Alyssa stopped for a moment, and picked him up to carry him, but finding she was too weak to go very far with him in her arms, set him down again.
    Alain must've heard them having trouble, because he turned to look at them and his eyes softened, "Just a while longer, there's a town up ahead, we can rest there."
    "Where are we going, brother?" Alyssa asked, her voice wobbly.
    Alain turned his head back to the path ahead and murmured, "Away."
    "But mommy and daddy will miss us . . ."
    Alain's eyes darkened at that, as he turned around and snapped, "They're dead Alyssa."Then before she could say anything else he turned around and kept walking forward. Alyssa said nothing else. Tears welled in her eyes and then poured down her cheeks. They stung from the slap of the icy wind, but she just kept moving. Calvin was quiet beside her as if he had been oblivious to the whole thing, though she knew he hadn't. Alain didn't turn around again, he just kept on too. Alyssa was careful to keep up and say nothing else, it was clear how irritable he'd become from her last question, and she didn't wish to make it worse by asking another. Still, Alyssa knew that he hadn't snapped at her out of something she'd done, but that his emotions had taken him captive. He was as lost and confused and afraid as she was, and even though they were running, Alain didn't know where to. He had brought both her and Calvin along, so there must have been a reason they couldn't stay, why Alain couldn't leave them behind there. The place that had been their home for years had in a few moments disappeared from them entirely. Suddenly too sad to bear it, Alyssa gripped her younger brother's hand tightly, and ran up to Alain, hugging his arm with her free hand. She stared up at him, and the moonlight illuminated her teary face and caused the snowflakes gathered in her hair to sparkle. Alain looked down at his sister, and in that moment, grew up. Kissing the younger girl's forehead, he slowed his pace so she could keep up, and headed into the town lit up by buildings and lamp posts at every street corner. The heavy snowfall was already beginning to cover the footprints they'd left behind.

The town was lively that night. The buildings were booming with laughter and music, from multiple parties being held. Taking his siblings, he led them into one of the buildings, and grinned at the smell of food. He didn't have any money, still, he didn't doubt his pickpocketing skills, especially at a time like this. He scanned the room for only a second before he saw a man, he looked wealthy enough to keep spare change on him, and was turned away from Alain, speaking with a woman who also looked like she had money as well. Alain locked his eyes on them, and then started to make his way across the room when Alyssa reached out, grabbing him by the arm and shook her head.
    Alain scowled, "Aren't you hungry?"
    "Yes, but we can't take that man's money . . .not without permission. We should ask instead."
    "That's not going to get us anywhere, Alyssa." Alain grumbled, but his sister had already taken off, asking politely around for something to eat. Alain scoffed and took a seat by Calvin. About fifteen minutes later, Alyssa returned with a man who handed them three meals. He had a kind look in his eye, but from the looks of it not very much money at all.    Alain's eyes widened at the man, "Thank you . . ." He said before his eyes grew sad with guilt, "I'm sorry we can't repay you."
    "No need. This little girl's smile," He said looking down at Alyssa, "Is repayment enough."
    Alain stared in shock as the man walked away. He really had just given them food out of generosity, and smiled as though he was receiving something. Alain would have never believed people like that really existed, but Alyssa . . .she knew. His sister plopped down and ate her meal beside Calvin. Alain just looked down at his food, and suddenly wasn't hungry anymore.   
    The three rose early in the morning, and left the building starting up again. They had just reached the edge of town when Alain suddenly turned around, and muttered, "I don't know where I'm going from here. I just know I have to keep walking. I have no idea where to, and I can't risk your guy's safety. This is where we part. Alyssa, go use that adorable face of yours and find somewhere to stay. If there is anyone else like that man who gave us something to eat last night, you will find somewhere to stay and will be safe. And I need you two safe. So go.And forget about me."
    Alyssa frowned and argued, "That's ridiculous. I can't just go and leave you. And forgetting is impossible."
    "Do it then, at least, for Calvin." Alain said, "And forgetting can be a choice Alyssa, it may take time, but in the end it will be what helps you move on."
    "And if I don't want to move on?"
    "Sometimes life doesn't give you that choice." Alyssa was silent, and after another moment, Alain whispered, "So please, leave, and forget."
    Alyssa's eyes met her brothers, and for a minute held his gaze. But the wind was only growing colder, and soon the young girl realized she had little choice in this matter. Calvin did need to stay safe, and Alain was going to leave, whether she liked it or not. So with sad eyes, she took a hold of her younger brother's hand, made her way back into the town, and forgot.    
Alain watched as they walked away, to where, he had no clue. He could only hope somewhere good. At least somewhere better than Aigua, where they would only be forced to train. Never having a say in their future. At least this way, they could have hope. He was sure they'd grow up happy here. That this was a good place for them to stop. But Alain wasn't ready to stop running yet. He wasn't sure if he'd ever be ready. So now he watched as they walked away, leaving their small footprints behind, along with their brother, and hopefully, all the bitter memories as well. And Alain left too, in the opposite direction. He also left his footprints, and even his little siblings who brought him so much joy. He left his past, buried deep in the winter snow. The magic in Aigua may have chosen his fate, but he had a say too. He would continue to run, forever if he needed to, to escape these ten years of his life. Forgetting could be a choice, just like he told Alyssa. So he too, would have to forget.
    Months passed, and Alain had made his way through many towns, through many
Kingdoms he didn't know, all with unfamiliar faces, which made them easier to steal from. His little sister may have been right that night, maybe there were good and generous people, but he couldn't always rely on people's kindness. Pick pocketing became a simpler job every time he did it; swiping away the bags of coins became as easy as walking down the street. And he had never been caught. Not until he reached a Kingdom where the moon shone brighter than anywhere else, and the streets smelled of sweet fruit and baked goods. Despite how wonderful that might have sounded, Alain found it distasteful. It brought back unwanted memories of his mother's and Katomi's cooking. The things he worked so hard to forget. So he grew cold towards the smell and the light of the moon. The last thing he wanted was pretty things. The hope of a beautiful life had left him long ago.
    By the second day in the city, Alain had grown completely famished. It had been a week since he'd eaten, so he found himself eyeing a man who looked to have money. He stood beside a small boy, who looked no older than Alain. Both wore cloaks with hoods to cover their faces, it was odd, but Alain didn't spend too much time thinking about it. Casually he made his way over and reached into the pocket of the man's cloak. Empty. Alain muttered a curse under his breath, and then felt the hand of the man grab a hold of his wrist. The young boy beside him simply tilted his head.
    The man turned to face him as Alain struggled to get away and calmly said,"Now, what was your
hand doing in my pocket?"
    Alain stopped struggling for a moment and gave the man a questioning look. Didn't he know perfectly well what Alain was doing? The man simply stood there holding his wrist and waited for a response.
    Alain's eyes darkened as he muttered, "You know what I was doing. I was trying to take your money."
    The man raised an eyebrow, "Now, why would you do a thing like that?" Alain huffed looking away from him. The man only smiled and kept his grip on his wrist, waiting for a response. When it had been about five whole minutes and he still hadn't got one, he murmured softly, "You look hungry, would you like some food?"
    Alain still was unresponsive, and the man let him go, walked over, and bought an apple giving it to him. Alain stared at it, before taking a big bite. And then another. And then another. A slight smile appeared on his face as he ate. The apple was good, very good. Better than anything else he had ever tasted.
    The man chuckled, and then growing serious again, asked, "Where are you parents?"    
       Alain looked away from him, the pain he had gotten good at ignoring coming back to him. "I don't have any, sir."
    "I see," The man said, studying the boy for a moment before continuing, "Then perhaps you should come live with me."
    Alain looked up at him, he wanted to say no. That he couldn't. That no matter what, he needed to keep running. No matter how much the hunger hurt him, or how tired his legs were. He couldn't stop now. Couldn't risk being found. However, the man's face held a promise of protection, a sincerity that everything would turn out fine. And slowly, Alain found himself nodding in his direction.
    The man smiled, "Good, my son could use a friend." The shy boy gave a little smile at Alain, before rushing back to hide behind his father's leg. "Although, you will certainly take some getting used to. But with your swiftness, stealth, and other skills, I think you could become something great you know."
    Alain felt a smile tugging at the edge of his lips as he followed him away. He was heading in the direction of the castle. Maybe he lived nearby? He must truly be rich.
    As the three of them reached the front of the castle, it was clear he was not simply rich, but far beyond that: he was royalty. He was the King. Three guards ran out to greet them, the youngest, around the age of 20, falling behind and stumbling slightly trying to keep up. When they approached, they slowed down, and bowed before the King.  The man removed the hood of his cloak and his son did as well.
    The oldest in the front let out a relieved sigh, "Your majesty, I highly suggest you stop going out alone without a few of us guards escorting you. Someday you could get yourself killed--you and the young prince."
    The king smiled, shaking his head, "You worry too much captain, we are just fine. These hoods protect our identities for the most part. It's nice for us to get out and be alone."
    "Yes, but as King, your responsibility . . ."
    "I know my responsibility." The man said, turning back to the castle entrance, "It doesn't change what I love." Then turning to the clumsy young guard, added, "Brutus, this boy will be staying with us from now on, please ensure he gets a room, food, and a warm bath."
    "Certainly, my King."
    The king nodded, then turning to the boy, said, "By the way, I forgot to ask for your name."
    "It's Alain,"
    The king smiled in his direction, "Interesting name . . . well Alain, I'm glad to have you living with us."
    "You're a King." Alain said.
    "Indeed I am," The man responded with a smile, "But deep down, we're all human, so what does title matter?"
    After Alain had taken a bath, and was put into some of Adrien's clothes, he for a moment almost felt like a prince himself. But the feeling quickly faded. Princes didn't run away, after all. They weren't cowards. And he was, in every way.
    Picking up the last orange slice from the fruit tray Brutus had brought him and plopping it into his mouth, Alain left his room and stepped out to explore. The castle was enormous, and the walls were made entirely of crystal glass. He wondered how beautiful it would look at night, with the moon shining through. He shook his head, it didn't matter. He had purposely asked for a room that let in as little light as possible. A room without glass walls. After he had abandoned not only his cult but his younger siblings, he didn't deserve anything beautiful.
    As he wandered out into the hall, he saw the Prince, seated on the floor staring out of the glass walls of his castle in awe at his Kingdom. His eyes were shining with admiration. It was odd, Alain thought, that a boy who had lived here all his life still remained so fascinated. His eyes brightened and perked up a little when he saw Alain approaching. Alain's eyes were dim and his mouth stayed in a straight line, exactly the opposite. The boy didn't seem to mind though, and smiled in his direction. Alain merely scoffed, but sat down across from him, watching the Prince with interest.
    He was a small thing, people probably found him cute too, Alain guessed. His eyes were large and smile was wide, and he was so filled with joy that Alain didn't know whether he was going to like this boy or not. Still, he sat there watching. Waiting to see if he'd do something interesting. He was a Prince after all, so, wouldn't that make him special? Deep down, we're all human, so what does title matter? The words the boy's father had spoken repeated themselves in Alain's head. Strange words they were. Did he actually believe that? That people, so far away from each other, separated by looks, and rankings, and wealth, were really all the same? Magic cults and Kingdoms, a starving boy or a prosperous King, they were all just people born in different worlds? Alain supposed it could be true. Staring at the Prince, he watched how he stared back, just as curious about Alain as Alain was about him. He had hid behind his father out of fear, and smiled at the view of his Kingdom out of joy, what could be more human than that? So maybe the King was right. Maybe difference is only what you make it. After all, he supposed people all are just searching for a purpose, and for care ,and maybe, they all were struggling with their own kind of pain too. That was harder to believe, seeing as how the eyes belonging to the boy in front of him shone so bright, it was hard to imagine he had ever seen anything dark. Still, he had to of cried at least once. That was something. So, even if they could never fully comprehend the other, they could still take what they know, and try to understand a little. And guess about the rest.
    The Prince looked at him again, and murmured, "Alain, right? That was your name?"
    "Yes, that's my name." Alain responded bluntly, "What's yours?"
    "I'm Adrien," The prince smiled, "It's nice to meet you."
    "You too," Alain muttered.
    Adrien stood up, then, walking over and taking Alain's hand and pulling him onto his feet, asked, "How about I show you around?"
    "I suppose, if you want to."
    Adrien grinned and ran off in a random direction, Alain reluctantly allowed himself to be dragged along. The more they explored, the more fascinating the castle became, and Alain even found himself smiling a little. Adrien seemed to be having fun too, and while he had appeared shy at first, was then chatting away, explaining every section of the castle and how it had come to be.  Alain simply nodded, not really paying attention to the words of his new friend but rather became lost in wonder as he looked around. He had become so lost, in fact, that he hadn't noticed the tears that had begun rolling down his cheeks.
    When Adrien noticed, he came to a halt, letting go of Adrien's hand, and turned to look at him. "I'm sorry, are you sad?"
    Alain froze, snapping back into reality, and then wiped his tears away with his sleeves,"No, it's nothing."
     Adrien frowned, as he crossed his arms,"Why are you denying it? You don't just cry for no reason. So are you happy or sad?"
    Alain gave a half smile,"I don't know, really," he said, looking around again, "Maybe a bit of both."
    "Well, if your happy, there's no use crying, so quit it," Adrien said with a grin, "and if you're sad, well, it's my job to fix that. We're friends, right? So let me do my job, and don't shed any more tears, okay?" Alain just stared at Adrien for a few moments, before grinning back, and running after him through the rest of the castle. For the first time in a while, he thought of his sister. The way she smiled at him when the man had brought over three meals. The way she had grabbed a hold of him before he could take the money. The way she had begged to come with him when it was time for Alain to leave. He realized that she, and this prince, had more in common than he cared to think about. For if he did, he would begin to miss her and Calvin all over again. So pushing the thought from his mind, he fell to the floor with Adrien, the two boys catching their breath.
    "Thank you Adrien."Alain whispered. Adrien only smiled, as the moon that had just reached its highest point in the sky poured its light through the glass walls. Effulgence. That was the Kingdom's name. A fitting one indeed.