Ch.15

The grass was soft; Analia thought with a smile, as she laid down and closed her eyes. It was good to be back on her territory, finally getting a moment's peace from the everyday discord. It was a rare experience; being a cult leader was demanding. It wasn't too often she got to lie under a cherry blossom tree and stare up at the light blue sky clearing her head. This is what spring should always look like. Aira was running around enjoying the wind, the sun making the golden marks on her skin shine. She had been given the marks as a child; Analia knew they were words written in some unknown language, but only Aira ever understood what they read. Analia often forgot they were even there, for they had become as much a part of her as her brown hair and blue eyes.

Part of Aira's magic was the ability to communicate with nature. She would spend hours conversing with the wind, and would nod to trees as she passed them. Likewise, she had a weird connection with lakes and rain, thunderstorms and snow. She was in tune with almost everything the earth had to offer, often far more than she was with people. Analia had never worried about that though; it was a useful gift for one of the three to have. All kinds of connections were useful, and since magic was highly rooted in the elements, Aira's magic was at times stronger than Analia and Aaron's combined. So Analia let Aira live in her world, and Analia lived in hers.

Aaron was leaning against a cherry blossom tree a good distance away from Analia. His eyes were dark and solemn--not unusual--and his hands were tightly clenched. Bitterness ran in his blood, but Analia had never made it her problem. His mood swings were as common as springtime rain in Effulgence, and were at worst a bit annoying. If he insisted on drowning in darkness, sinking in the grim state he'd been for years, so be it. She did not know everything about Aaron's past, but she knew he had been angry at the world for a long time. Until he could conquer what was eating at his own heart, she didn't know how he could properly lead others.

It wasn't long until he'd made his way over to her, not bothering to hide the coldness in his voice when he said, "We should get back. We have a lot to plan, since we've decided to assist Effulgence--we, of course, meaning you, despite the fact that the three of us are supposed to unanimously agree on things such as these."

Analia's eyes narrowed, "I didn't hear Aira objecting, and frankly, I don't trust your judgment Aaron."

Aaron scowled, "You call siding with a kingdom during a war good judgment? It would be better just to kill them. What do we care what happens to one kingdom or another? Kingdoms are made up of puppets. We all know wars are not fought against two kingdoms, but rather two dictators with puppets. Effulgence and Rayland are the same, why do we care which one succeeds? What is it to us? Let's just wipe them both out. "

"If Antinanco were to commit so much bloodshed without a second thought, while ignoring all other options, what would separate us from the dark cults?"

Aaron didn't respond to that. Instead his eyes adverted. He glanced over at Aira who was happily admiring peddles on the cherry blossom trees. He didn't understand how she could block out reality like it was bad dream. He envied her for it.

"But you're right, we should return. We still need to inform the rest of the cult of our decision." Analia said.

"Your decision," Aaron hissed.

"More or less," Analia admitted, "but you'll end up thanking me in the end."

"We should bid Farwell to the trees." Aira murmured, and only then did the other two realize she had walked back over.

Aaron rolled his eyes, "Why? It's not as if they have ears to hear us."

Aira smiled softly, "I know, but they'll be able to tell."