Ch.43

The time it took to travel to Effulgence breezed by. Analia's face whitened as they entered; already the smell of blood was in the air. Akuma had begun. Analia felt Aaron stiffen beside her, but only for a moment before Aira glanced back and waved for them to catch up. She didn't even appear fazed. Aira was still a mystery . . . but perhaps it was good at least one of them could keep a level mind while walking through a valley of death.

Aaron kept close behind Analia, every step making him wish he'd come sooner. He stepped over dead bodies and tried not to vomit as he saw the teeth marks on their throats. Horror overwhelmed him; how could he have possibly asked for this? Gone to those savages, monsters—creatures that hungered to destroy. Once they begun nothing could shut them off; common sense wouldn't calm their blood lust, and reasoning was impossible. Once a person joined Akuma their humanity was taken away from them, their soul devoured by the desire to harm, leaving nothing but an empty core and insane mind. The thought of how simple it all was sent chills down Aaron's spine.
It wasn't however, until Aaron stumbled over another body and glanced down that his heart stopped. It shouldn't have. He should have been relieved that after all the destruction that Effulgence had struck back. Instead, he felt so dizzy he wondered if he would drop dead. Even after Aira turned away from it, and Analia closed her eyes tightly, Aaron just kept staring at Cerberus. His violet eyes were empty.
Still avoiding looking at the body, Analia murmured, "We have to keep going." And Aaron only nodded. After all, Cerberus had been dead to him for years. Every since he'd betrayed Antinanco, killed one of their own members . . . that was the moment his friend had died. Even so, it was only then he had realized how dead he truly was—after his body had gone along with his soul.
When he felt the blow of the evening wind, he pulled his eyes from Cerberus and adjusted his gaze back on Analia and Aira. They were pale, their eyes faded into a somber grey. They had hardly known Cerberus, and yet . . . he had been a part of Antinanco once, and Antinanco had that kind of connection. It didn't matter how well you know them, or how hard and far someone had fallen, they would still exist somewhere in the deep, deep part of the rest of the cult's hearts. The thought of it pushed Aaron forward, and kept him walking to his death—every step reminding him his people were beyond worth saving.

Upon reaching the castle, the three saw it was not the same as they had left it. A few places even had chunks missing, and everywhere cracks ran along the glass walls. At least it was still in one piece, which gave Analia more relief than she'd ever imagined it would. It was incredible the care she now had towards a kingdom she'd once threatened to destroy. After all, then it had meant nothing to her; it was filled only with blank faces and empty halls of glass. It had been an obstacle, but now it made her smile, even if the smile carried a bit of sadness with it.
After scanning the area thoroughly for Akuma members and finding the space clear, Analia entered with the others trailing, and watched as Brutus and Adrien emerged from the other side to meet them in the middle. Adrien's face was grave, but hopeful, as he greeted them. He didn't bother to smile or greet her properly, but then again, she hadn't expected him to. Not with the death that had come upon his people—how could he possibly work up a smile now? They begin the spell as soon as possible, before any more innocent people would have to pay for Antinanco's mistakes.
Adrien cleared his throat before he met Analia's gaze, "I'm rather surprised to see you here."
"Did you not get my message?"
"No, I did . . ." Adrien said, eyes growing darker, "I'm just still surprised, that's all."
"We are fixing a wrong. This is the honorable choice. To finish what we started." Analia stated simply. But it wasn't true, not entirely; there were so many more reasons . . . but ones she couldn't bring herself to admit.
Adrien could barely manage a nod in response, before his eyes shifted to the three of them, his voice choked as he said, "Are you sure about doing this? You know there's a good chance you won't make it out alive."
"We all understand that," Aaron cut in, "But we've made up our minds, and I think you already know you won't be able to change them."
"For the sake of my kingdom, and many others, I wasn't planning on it."
"Then," Analia said, "We will be on our way."
"Didn't that messenger tell you," Adrien said, voice stopping her in her steps, "That this spell may fail?"
"Oh, it won't," Analia said, "It is a risk; but I can guarantee with our cult, and your kingdom inches from crumbling to the point of non-existence, with the help of the spell, and those out there fighting, we will have an incredible chance."
"Thank you . . ." Adrien said. It was all he could think to say; the only words that would fall off his tongue despite him meaning to say so much more.
But before he could force all the words out, Analia had already smiled and responded, "No, thank you, for ruling a kingdom that's worth dying for." Then she was gone, with the other two, all disappearing from the castle in what must have been only seconds.
There was a slight smile on Brutus's face as his gaze followed to where they had left. "Kids. Children basically, and yet, their bravery is greater than any I've ever known."
Adrien returned the smile, "Indeed, my friend."