Ch.19

The bar was crowded, the chatter of voices filling the air. Permeating the air was the sickly scent of alcohol, mixed with something else Aaron couldn't put his finger on. He kept his hood up, concealing his face behind the shadows; he couldn't afford to take the chance of being recognized, and this getting back to Analia. If she'd found out he'd gone behind her back, everything would go to hell. This would be taken as an act of betrayal against his cult. That, of course, was far from his intentions. There was nothing he cared for more than Antinanco, which is what forced him to make this decision. Aaron took a seat on a stool and glanced at the person sitting beside him. A dark smirk was returned as they made eye contact.

"Glad you could make it," Aaron said in a low voice, barely audible.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, when I found out I was needed by an Antinanco cult leader, I just couldn't resist." The speaker's violet eyes shone. "Should we order?"

"No. Let's take this outside."

They headed out to the back of the bar, and the noise grew quiet, fading in the background. It was only when they were hidden by the darkness that Aaron removed his hood and looked up at Cerberus. Amused, his grin showcased his row of pearly pointed teeth. A signature that he belonged to Akuma, one of the two dark cults.

Cerberus spoke first, "For all the years we've disagreed, Aaron, it's nice to see you come around."

"I'm doing this for my cult. I have no other reason to meet with you besides Antinanco's safety. And believe me when I say this is the last time I ever plan on speaking with you again. I still hate you as much as I hate your cult. This is simply an exception."

"I would assume nothing but. Now, down to business, what is it you want from Akuma?"

"Something that to your kind is as easy as breathing. Destruction. To obliterate both Effulgence and Rayland."

"Why would a leader of a light cult ask for such a thing?" Cerberus asked, every word dripping with mockery.

"The war between the two Kingdoms' is causing problems for Antinanco. Analia refuses to do anything about it, so I'm having you filth fix it for me."

Cerberus picked at his cuticles in a bored manner, "And what will you pay?"

Aaron scoffed, "Pay? Please. Like you need anything but the excuse to be able to kill freely without the light cults interference. Blood and tears are your dessert, and I'm handing it to you."

"So you will be preventing the light cults from stepping in? I would hate for us to get punished over something you begged us to do."

"I'll hold them off. Whatever it takes."

Cerberus's eyes were darkly amused, "Well my friend, you are right. That is all I needed to hear."

"We haven't been friends in years."

Cerberus' eyes danced. There was something more, yet unreadable, hidden behind them.

"Now, let's not forget," Cerberus continued, "By taking out both Rayland and Effulgence we are breaking the code. Exponentially. Especially with Rayland, with its size. While magic cults don't necessarily associate with, or even really like Kingdoms, there are rules against simply wiping them out without good cause. So, if you fail to prevent the light cults from stepping in, or dismissing this whole thing, you will take the blame."

Aaron's eyes narrowed, "What?"

"Those are my terms to this agreement."

Aaron hesitated. ". . .so be it."

"Wonderful!" Somehow, his smile grew even darker than before. "I know I can count on you to follow through with that, Aaron." As he turned and walked away, his thick black moved with his steps, the way it always had. Aaron watched him until he had disappeared from sight. Then the rain started. The large droplets pouring down were made even heavier by Aaron's regret, as they hit against the sides of his face like pebbles. Lifting his hood back up over his head, he realized his hands were shaking. Maybe he was cold. Even if it was early June, the time when summer begins and the world grows warm, it all felt cold. The soft summer breeze only made it feel colder. Maybe that's what his shaking was; shivering; the reason his hands had turned so white. You made an agreement with Akuma, the wind whispered; your agreement will bring death. So much death, that not even all the protection in the world can make up for it. He froze, and then dropped to his knees. It was more than his hands that had begun to shake. What had he done? I just saved my cult. I just saved my territory. I did it, so that the destruction wouldn't hit us. I made the right decision. Those were the words he used to convince his mind, but never fully his heart.

Analia stood by Aira as the two of them gazed out into the heavy rain. It was getting late, and he still wasn't back. She sighed, shaking her head. It wasn't her job to keep tabs on him, and honestly, she didn't have the energy to. It was tiring when a co-leader behaved like a little brother. She no longer could go through the process of forcing sense into him. If he was lost, or doing something stupid, he'd learn through experience, and then maybe one day wise up.

She hadn't had a chance to go to the Effulgence castle today like she had told herself she would. She was just too busy with too much. That girl's training should be a priority, if it meant ending the war, but she couldn't even leave her tent when her desk was piled so high with papers that it practically walled her in. Leaving Aira's side without a word, she crawled into her bed. She had just closed her eyes blocking out the world and sunk into a state of peace when she heard footsteps; Aaron's footsteps.

Her eyes flickered open, "What have you been doing for the past--" She cut off when she saw how pale he was.

"Nothing," Aaron replied quietly, heading towards his bed. Analia raised an eyebrow. His hood was up; so he hadn't just been out taking a casual stroll. Her eyes narrowed. What had he been up to?

"Cruising, were you? Or at some party?" Aaron's face was blank and unresponsive, "Wrestling a bear? . . . Are you listening Aaron?!"

"Huh?" Aaron blinked a few times, and Analia's temper died down. She had expected him to shoot back. Aaron removed his cloak, dropping it on the floor. "I'm going to bed."

Analia said nothing else as he disappeared into the other end of the tent and out of sight. Aira walked over sitting on the side of Analia's bed, and while Aira carried little expression on her face, Analia could tell Aira was just as suspicious as she felt. Few could pick up on Aira's mind, but that had never been the case for Analia.

"What do you think he was up to?" Analia muttered.

Aira smiled, "Gambling. And he lost." Analia laughed, sinking back into the sheets dozing off, and Aira fell asleep on the bed beside hers.