Prologue

3rd Person P.O.V

Everything was on fire....

Honkai, alternatively called Collapse, is a mysterious but persistent phenomenon

Honkai, alternatively called Collapse, is a mysterious but persistent phenomenon. It isn't completely understood why but it apparently seeks the extinction of the human race by whatever means possible.

Natural disasters, plagues, radiation, zombies, beasts... you name it. At certain points, the Honkai will attempt to possess particular humans in order for them to become its heralds or Herrschers (Rulers) and gift them incredible powers of apocalyptic might to make the extermination of humanity much easier. The destruction of Berlin and the general desolation of Russia and its surroundings of Asia were the results of the birth of those Herrschers.

However, it's not that easy to create a Herrscher. Not only does the subject have high adaptability to the Honkai but the concentration of Honkai energy needs to be high enough to concentrate into a solid Core or Gem, it being the source of the Herrscher's power, their link to Honkai hive mind and the vessel of their soul.

Due to those restrictions, either people die and become living dead (Zombies) or they gain powers but not develop a Herrscher Core or its incomplete (Pseudo-Herrscher), both equally subservient to the Honkai anyways.

Outbreaks of Honkai or Eruptions happen periodically in order for Herrschers to be birthed as well as kill thousands of people in the process, a win-win for the Honkai.

Unfortunately for the Honkai, humanity is not entirely defenseless. In its collective DNA, exists the genetic codes for Stigmata: special antibodies that give their users increased Honkai resistance and physical strength as well as record entire bloodlines worth of genetic data. Not to talk about weapons and other technologies left over from an extinct advanced civilization of millenia ago like the almighty Divine Keys made from Herrscher Cores and Soulium nanometal.

Or just people with enough guts/madness as well as natural might and/or training with natural Honkai resistance and no fancy superweapons or Stigma that fight Honkai personally.

Since the first person to awaken Stigmata in this Era, humans have been organizing, preparing in order to hunt and kill their natural predators. No matter the age or nationality, these Hunters, like it or not, became humanity's first and last line of defense against extinction, something conventional militaries would fail at, especially considering Honkai's escalating nature in response to civilization's advancement, explaining partially why solo Hunters or specialized militias are the go to response to any supernatural catastrophe.

Some Hunter bloodlines working under the Catholic Church founded the anti-Honkai organisation Schicksal after the dissolution of the Roman Empire. Their formidable might, coming from powerful Stigmata carriers as well as stocks of Previous Era technology, made Schicksal one of the most powerful factions of Europe, overruling even the actual Church. All this made Schicksal's history one full of blood and corruption despite also accumulating centuries of heroics.