11 ~ Sunflowers

Lizzie POV

Well shit. I didn't mean to say that I like her...but I do! It happened kind of fast but I guess I figured it out when Hannah started to show interest in Y/N. I didn't like it and I couldn't figure out why until last night. I kind of freaked out a little when I kissed her, but once I stopped freaking out about it I realized that it was the most natural thing I've ever done.

I've never thought of girls in this way. Not until Y/N and it's kind of confusing and scary. She's so sweet and pure that it makes sense why I would like her. I also know that she's an amazing friend. I don't want my confusing feelings to hurt her.

"Uh." Her confused response breaks me out of my thoughts and I smile at her wide eyes. "You...you do?" She asks, her cheeks on fire. I realize that my response will affect our friendship no matter what I say and hesitate.

"I um...I do, but." I start not sure what to say.

"But?" She asks, her eyes widening with worry.

"I think. Uh. I think I'm still trying to figure it out." I try to explain. "I don't want to hurt you. I never want to hurt you. You're so special to me and if this doesn't go well I lose someone I don't ever want to lose." I ramble, my emotions going into a frenzy. I blink back tears threatening to form into droplets.

"Okay um...then we stay friends. Until you know for sure." She decides, leaning back so our arms drop from each other's bodies. I watch as she shifts on her feet and reaches over to grab her coffee. I watch as she takes a sip and turns to grab her bag. "We're going to be late, come on Sunshine." She calls and I smile.

I quickly finish my coffee and grab my bag so I can follow her out. She sets her empty mug on the table by the door then slips on her converse. I find myself watching her closely, unsure of what she's feeling. She didn't say anything about her feelings but I think she likes me back. That makes sense right?

On our walk to campus we encounter groups of students that make me shuffle a little closer to Y/N. I don't like crowds. As if she can sense my discomfort, her hand slips into mine and I look over to her. Her face doesn't reflect anything she may be thinking and it makes me frown.

"Y/N?" I prompt and she looks over to me.

"Yes?" She asks.

"Are we okay?" I ask. She looks back in front of us to make sure we don't run into anyone as we enter the building. Her grip on my hand tightens as she pulls us to catch the elevator, full of students. We end up face to face in the crowded space.

"Yeah, of course. I don't want to rush anything. I don't want to lose you either." She shares in a whisper and I nod.

"You'll tell me, if something is bothering you, yeah?" I check as the elevator dings, stopping at our floor.

"Yes, now come on. Our education awaits." She teases with a small smile, pulling me out of the space and down the hall to our classroom. I'm relieved that she's still holding my hand and acting like nothing happened. A part of me is worried that things have changed, but I guess I'll just have to figure it out later.

My mind is not into this class at all. The entire time I'm thinking about Y/N and if we are truly okay. I mean, I kissed her, twice, and told her that I like her only to then say that I don't want to risk our friendship. That isn't fair. I want to make it better but I don't know how.

"Hey." I hear from my side and look over to Y/N. She smiles softly and I can't help but smile back. She looks back to the board to take her notes and I watch for a few moments before looking at my blank notebook. I need to get a grip.

When class ends we both stand and put our stuff away before heading out of the building. I follow her down the stairs and smile when I realize she's wearing my clothes. I obviously knew that but walking behind her just reminded me of the fact.