25 ~ Birthday Dinner

Y/N POV

Three more weeks before Lizzie leaves. We spent the first week of the new year together at her apartment and exploring the East Village. We went to thrift shops and to the American Gangster Museum. We also went to a poetry cafe to listen to some slam poetry and found this cool record shop.

Now, it's the second week of the new year and we are cuddled on her couch watching another Star Wars film. It's nice not having classes or obligations other than walking dogs here and there. All my free time is spent with Lizzie, sometimes here, sometimes in my dorm. We watch movies and talk about our futures.

With every conversation my heart falls deeper and I've stopped trying to hold it back. I can't help the way that I feel about her. I also can't help that she's leaving me soon. I try to stay on the bright side. I try to remind myself that she will be back and that this is good for her. It might even be good for the both of us.

I can try to make more friends. I've neglected to do that honestly. My entire world revolves around Lizzie and that's probably not healthy. I can write sappy songs and focus on school a little bit more. Maybe go to more events.

"I'll write to you." Lizzie speaks out of nowhere, like she can hear my thoughts.

"I'll write back." I assure her.

"I'll send them here so I know they won't get lost in the NYU mail system." She decides.

"I'll water your plants." I reply and she hums in agreement.

The conversation ends there as my hand combs through her hair, her head resting on my chest and arms wrapped tightly around my waist.

With two weeks left until she leaves we go shopping for what she needs. She gets travel size shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. She buys a journal and some nice pens so she can document everything. She also gets a nice camera so she can show me everything she does when she gets back.

I help her pack her passport, ID, and other travel essentials in a backpack. We pick out some clothes that she's bringing with her. She almost forgets about shoes but I make sure she has a few pairs.

The weather will be cold when she gets there and will gradually warm up so she gets a nice coat, hat, and mittens.

With a week left before she leaves, I manage to get a reservation at a fancy restaurant in Little Italy for her birthday. I make sure we dress up with the help of her sisters and get a bouquet of sunflowers for her in addition to a lady bug charm for her necklace.

"Y/N, you didn't have to do all of this." She comments as I push in her chair.

"You deserve a special dinner for your birthday." I politely disagree.

"Thank you for the flowers." She comments as she lays them on the table between us. We share a smile before looking at the menu.

The entire dinner is really nice. We talk about what we want to do when she gets back. I'm not sure where I will spend my summer. I don't bring it up though. I probably will have to go back to stay with my mom.

Once we order dessert I take out her gift and slowly push it over to her. I smile at how brightly she smiles at the gesture and watch carefully as she unwraps it. Her grin grows when she sees it and looks up at me with soft eyes.