Soul For A Soul

Wanda's POV:

"Where is she Steve?" I asked him, the tears starting to fall from my eyes.

When everyone had dusted back, Strange and his friend opened up portals for the Avengers and our allies that fought along side us in Wakanda.

Throughout the battle I tried to find the woman I married 5 years ago, but she was nowhere to be seen. When we won the battle, Tony died, he snapped his fingers and got rid of Thanos for good but the power was too much for him to handle.

Pepper let us use one of Tony's mansions that were not too far from the destroyed compound or their house. Most of us stayed there, but some had ships.

I tried to ask Thor, Bruce, Steve and Clint about it but they all seemed to stunned by Tony's passing.

About a week after everything happened Tony's funeral was held. I decided to leave the topic until after the ceremony, but each day since, my worry grew and my heart ached.

Steve looked down at me and said,"Come on, we need to get the stones back". I followed him to a weird machine.

Bruce, Sam and Bucky were there.

Steve walked over to Bruce, whispering something. As much as he tried to hide it, Banner had a guilty look on his face.

"You know if you want, I could come with you" Sam offered. Steve declined it and started walking around the platform to go to Bucky.

"Don't do anything stupid till I get back" he said. Barnes smiled and replied, "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you".

I had always admired their friendship, even when I was locked up in the Raft.

He walked up to me next. "Wanda, she passed away..." I felt everything in my wanting to break, but only letting a few tears fall. They don't need to see me break down "But I'm going to try and get her back" he stated.

The man brought me in for a long hug, seeing I was close to breaking. He pulled back and kissed my head, then turning to move the to platform.

Bucky came and put an arm around me for comfort, I moved into his warmth and let my sobs get caught in my throat.

"How long is it's gonna take?" Sam asked

"For him, as long as he needs, for us, five seconds" Bruce replied.

Steve picked up Thor's hammer and looked at me, "I'm bringing your girl back to you".

I watched as the machine powered up and sent him back to where ever.

"Returning in 5,4,3,2,1"

But nothing happened.

"Where is he?" Same asked.

Bruce frantically checked the panel saying he didn't know.

Buck let go of me and turned around, he started walking until we heard him speak up.

"Guys"

We all turned around and saw an old man sitting by the log with Steve's shield.

Sam walked up to him and had a short conversation, they both had smiles on their faces. He gave the shield to Sam, he seemed to protest but eventually gave in.

When he walked back to us, the shield in hand and tears in his eyes, "Maximoff, he wants to see you"

I glanced at Bucky, silently asking if I should. When he nodded, I slowly made my way to sit next to the man on the log.

Once I was sitting, I turned my head sideways to look at him. Steve.

"I couldn't bring your girl back to you. I'm sorry" he apologised as he looked over the lake.