eighty five

"Do you know who's all coming?" We arrived at the house before the rest of the family did. It was quiet as we anxiously waited for everyone to come. Eli sat on the floor playing with his toys while Emmett and I stood by the window, watching and waiting.

"The Denalis, for sure. They're our closest allies. Edward and Bella should be on their way back with them now." His arms wrapped around me from behind and I leaned into his chest as his chin rested atop my head. "Dom took Rose to go track an old friend of his. Carlisle said he had a few people, didn't mention any names."

"And Alice?"

"Wish I knew babe." He swayed our bodies side to side slightly. "It's weird how Jasper didn't tell you anything about them leaving."

"We're still new to this guardian bond. I don't think we've ever really talked about it enough." I tilted my head and smiled gently. "Besides, I don't need him here to protect me. That's what I have you for."

"Damn straight." He smirked and leaned down to kiss me. Our lips had barely connected before he was tensing and straightening up. "Someone's coming." He moved me away from the windows and I picked up Eli.

"Who is it?" He stood still for a minute before his body visibly relaxed.

"It's just your sister." He beckoned me forward and I watched Edward's car come down the driveway. We met them outside, a relieved smile on my face.

"Took you guys long enough." I grinned.

"Someone had to pee ten times on the way back." Edward glared at Jacob. I set Eli down and he walked to Nesmee, handing her his toy.

"I told you I have a small bladder," Jacob grumbled. "I'm taking the kids inside." He gently nudged the kids to the house and I turned back to my sister.

"How did it go?"

"They've agreed to help. They should be here soon." She replied with a small smile. "Edward took a little beating but they're on our side."

"Ouch." Emmett taunted. He had a smirk on his face as he poked fun at Edward's misery. "Wish I could've been there to see it."

Ignoring the boys, Bella and I rolled our eyes. "How did it go with you two?"

"Pretty good. They're out hunting and should be back later." Neither one of us made an effort to continue the conversation and the sound of feet stomping against the ground saved us from having an awkward moment.

They emerged from the trees like angels. The four of them walked at a human pace towards us and like every other time I've met them, their beauty astounded me.

"Lovely to see you again Clary."

"You too Kate." I smiled. Out of the entire Denali Clan, Kate was the one I grew the closest to. She reminded me a lot of Rosalie in a way and she became one of my closest (yet distant and silent) friends after we initially met. "I'm glad you could make it."

"Of course. Anything for family." Tanya smiled. "Edward did mention you had something to tell us also."

"You didn't tell them?" I quirked an eyebrow at Edward and he shook his head. I turned back to the stunning people awaiting the news and I sighed softly. "You didn't just come here for Nesmee. I have a son, his name's Elijah. We believe the Volturi are after the both of them."

"You both gave birth?" Carmen pointed between Bella and me as we both nodded.

"I got pregnant first and then Bella did about a month later," I explained. "We went into labor the same day. Her labor kickstarted mine."

"That's freaky," Kate muttered.

"It's nearly impossible." Tanya's eyes were wide as she gaped at us. "It's incredible! Two sisters, both mates to vampires, gave birth and have dual species, children!"