four

After I had walked away with Jennah and Thomas, I couldn't get my mind off of the boy who seemed to glare at me whenever I was in his presence. I had tried to pay attention to Jennah's weeping boyfriend Asher as he obsessed over some butterfly that landed on his sandwich, but Emmett Cullen had consumed my thoughts. The rest of the lunch period was preoccupied with my thoughts of him. I didn't understand why.

"Clary, come on." I snapped out of my thoughts and stared blankly up at Gregory, Thomas' best friend, as he tugged on my sleeve. I looked around and saw the others standing up and gathering their things. I copied their actions and walked quietly with Greg as we walked to our art class together. "Not many people take this elective so the principal put all of us together in one class period." He began to explain. Just like my Government class, I'd be sharing this one with students in other grade levels.

"Oh cool." I nodded distractedly. It was cool, but I simply didn't care. He placed his hand on my elbow as he guided me through the halls, dodging groups of kids in our path.

=

"Welcome to Art Class." Greg smiled, extending his arms dramatically, and gestured to the door we now stood in front of. I chuckled and nudged him aside before opening the door. "Don't push me! How rude!" He gasped. I rolled my eyes and closed the door before he could enter the classroom. With a laugh, I turn to face the teacher and find everyone already seated and staring at me.

"You must be Clarissa, my new student!" The overzealous man with paint covering every inch of his clothing grinned. His light brown hair was piled on top of his head and was being held in place with paintbrushes. Everything about him screamed 'passion' but what intrigued me most was his lack of footwear. "Welcome!" His grin grew wider as he approached me.

"Clary, call me Clary." I correct him. Like my sister, I hated the usage of my full name. It was a mouthful to say and too formal for everyday usage.

"Well welcome Clary. Take a seat next to Emmett while I kindly let Gregory in." He chuckled before stepping to the door. "Oh and I'm Mr. Parker." I returned his grin with a small one of my own and turned to find where I'm supposed to sit.

Just my luck. I sighed and spotted the only empty seat which is directly beside the boy who is still glaring at me and his brother who looks constipated. "Great," I mutter under my breath. I notice Emmett's eyes narrow as if he heard what I said but I ignore it, and he, and walk to the seat.

After getting myself situated in my seat, I try to focus on the small debate going on between Greg and Mr. Parker but once again Emmett Cullen has consumed my thoughts. Out of the corner of my eye, I see him scoot his chair and easel away from me and his hand being placed tightly over his mouth once again. I shrink into my seat and make my already small frame even smaller as he scoots further away.

'Do I smell or something?'

=

"How was your first day?" My sister asked as we met up at our lockers. We grabbed our jackets out and wrapped ourselves up in them before slamming our lockers closed.

"Eventful," I answered simply. It truly was. Between all the glaring and spunky new friends I made, it was more than eventful.

"Anything happen?" And by that, she wanted to know if anyone messed with me. My sister is a protective person and she's always tried to fight my battles for me, even if she's completely harmless.

Some kid glared at me all day. "Nope." I changed my answer.

"Good." I chuckled and followed her out of the building.

"Can I braid your hair tonight?" I asked her with a smile on my face as I reached out and twirled a lock of her brown hair.

"No." She said flatly. I pouted and mumbled under my breath as we walked over to the truck. "Braid your own."

"But it's not as fun as braiding someone else!" I whined and stuffed my backpack into the truck. "If you loved me you'd let me." I grinned.

"It's because I love you that I won't let you." She deadpanned. I pouted again and heard laughter coming from a few feet from us. I looked over and saw the Cullens and the Hales standing at their car laughing. They're not looking at us so I assume they're not laughing at our conversation.

"That doesn't even make sense." I groaned and looked at her over the bed of the truck. She stood on the other side with a smirk on her face.

"Your face doesn't make sense." She smirked again and climbed into the truck, closing her door.

"Don't use my words against me!" I pointed my finger at her through the window before climbing in also. "It's unfair," I mumbled as I buckled myself.

"Life isn't fair." She remarked, reversing out of the parking spot.

"Your face is unfair," I grumbled, looking out the window. I, unfortunately, catch the glare of Emmett Cullen once again and I sigh before turning away from him completely.

=

"School is school Mom, nothing exciting ever happens." After dinner, Mom called to check up on us. Bella had answered but being that she's awkward and doesn't like to talk on the phone, she handed it to me straight away.

"You're in a different city now Clary, something just might." I could hear a smile through the receiver of the phone but I ignored it.

"Maybe." I agreed. If I hadn't, she wouldn't have stopped pestering me.

"Okay honey, I'm glad you're okay." She sighed. "Say hello to Charlie for me. I'll call you tomorrow. Love you."

"Love you too," I whispered before I heard her hang up. I placed the house phone back onto the counter and faced Bella and Dad. "Mom says hi," I said simply, taking my spot in between them at the table and finishing my burger.

"How was your first day?" Dad asked, trying to make conversation.

"Fine." Was Bella's answer.

"Eventful." Was mine.

"Any problems?" Which translated to, 'Do I have to shoot anybody?'

"Nope." We both replied in sync.

"Did you like your classes?" He asked.

"Yupp." We responded.

"Are you excited to go back tomorrow?"

"Nope." We spoke in unison again.

"Alright then." He muttered.

Don't get me wrong, I love Dad and I would have loved to answer his questions in full sentences- just not while I'm eating.

The rest of dinner was spent in silence and like awkward turtles we all drifted to our rooms, not planning to emerge from them until morning. It still felt weird sleeping in a new place but glancing out the window that covered the top half of one of the walls in my room, made it easier. The stars were peeking out from in between the treetops and I loved it. And with my gaze on the stars, I was finally able to drift off to sleep. Only to find that my subconscious had Emmett Cullen on its radar as well.