twenty eight

"I don't know Dad, I don't think it's a good idea." I shook my head with a nervous smile on my face. During breakfast, Dad approached me with the idea of sending Bella to stay with mom. I knew Bella wouldn't go, she had hope that Edward would return.

"I don't see any other options." His voice was quiet as he whisper and shouted. Bella was still upstairs getting dressed for school and we both kept glancing at the stairs for her to appear. "You got your broken heart too, and you're fine."

"Everyone handles things differently." I shrugged in reply, unsure of how to honestly answer him. "It'll take time, he was her first boyfriend."

"Wait, so the kid you dated wasn't your first boyfriend?" Dad asked in disbelief.

"No Dad, he wasn't." I laughed and shook my head. "I've technically had three boyfriends - though I don't think you can call a small one-month romance in middle school a relationship," I muttered the last bit thoughtfully.

"Who were these other boyfriends?" Dad spoke gruffly.

"Um," I tilted my head as I thought about it. "Some kid on the reservation during middle school was the one-month thing and then a boy in Phoenix - he was two months."

"Just answer me this," He began. "Can you wear white on your wedding day?" His cheeks had a pink tint to them and I suppressed a giggle.

"Virgin white," I replied with a proud smile. His smile mirrored mine and he nodded, content with my answer. Though he still blushed. Our conversation dwindled after that as I continued to eat my cereal. We both turned as we heard Bella's shoes tap against the floor as she walked down the stairs.

"Morning." Dad and I both smiled at her. She glanced at us but didn't seem to comprehend that we had said something. I shot Dad a nervous look and he nodded to me. He was going to tell her that he was sending her back.

Bella grabbed a bowl and filled it with cereal and milk before grabbing a spoon and sitting beside me. She began quietly chomping on her cereal and her eyes glazed over. She was tuning everything out. Maybe a change in scenery would be good for her.

"I'm sending you home Bella." Dad's fist thumped against the table and he finally captured her attention.

"I am home." She stated, confused. She glanced at me but I kept my head down and avoided her gaze.

"I'm sending you to your mom, to Jacksonville." He corrected her. I looked at Bella as I finished my cereal and I saw her lip tremble slightly and I knew she was about to protest with everything in her or lie to Dad's face.

"What did I do?"

"You didn't do anything," Dad stressed. "That's just it, you never do anything."

"What do you want me to do?" I felt her looking at me but I simply stood up and deposited my bowl in the sink. I faced away from them as their conversation continued.

"Anything, something. Just not this moping!" Dad's voice was quiet but anyone could hear his frustration.

"I am not moping." Bella crossed her arms and she narrowed her eyes stubbornly.

"You're right because then you'd be doing something." He sighed heavily and began rubbing his head. I walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder comfortingly but also reassuringly. He knew - as did Bella - that my small gesture meant I was siding with him. "You're lifeless Bella, you're practically a robot."

"He's right Bells," I spoke quietly and ignored the glare she sent me. "You're not you, you're just an empty shell. We just want you to be -" I trailed off. I was about to say happy but I knew she'd just cry and reply that she was happy with Edward.