sixty two

"Why is Latin so difficult?" I groaned and rubbed my forehead, I could feel a headache coming. "Is that why it's a dead language because no one is smart enough to learn it?"

"Plenty of people know it and can learn it." Killian chuckled at my distress. "Once you get the hang of it, the rest is quite simple."

"We've been at it for days, it's safe to say that Latin is just a language I'm not meant to know. I'll just stick with English since I know it so well already." I closed the book I was trying to read from and slid it across the table to him.

"Okay, first of all, we've only been practicing for two hours, not days," he slid the book back over to me. "So stop exaggerating. And secondly, it's for your baby."

"Who knew having a baby could be so problematic?" I grumbled and reopened the book, searching for the page I was reading.

"Everybody," Killian answered swiftly. I rolled my eyes at him and he just shrugged. "I'm not the one who got pregnant."

"Okay, first of all, I didn't know getting pregnant was a possibility." I defended myself. "And second, it'd make things a lot easier if I didn't have so much to stress about."

"Nobody knew it was a possibility darling, but it's happened so you need to accept it."

"I have accepted it. It's other people who haven't." I grumbled.

"Oh, I see. You're referring to your vampire." Killian nodded his head.

"He's not mine, he's just Emmett," I mumbled. "Besides, if he was around I probably wouldn't be so upset all the time. But no, he decided he wasn't ready to be a father, so here I am, like so many girls before, about to raise a baby on my own." I ranted.

"Okay, breathe in between your words." Killian chuckled. "And you're not alone, you have a family who's willing to help you and the Volturi wants to help also. You've got people on your side."

"Thanks." I sighed.

"Killian, Aro wants to see you in the Throne room." A tall brunette strolled up to us and spoke to Killian in a soft tone. Her brown eyes met mine and I gave her a small smile.

"Okay." Killian stood up and gave the girl a nod. "Arielle, can you keep Clary company until I return?" He made his way out of the library before she could reply to him and glared at him as he sent us a wave before leaving our sight.

"You don't have to stay with me if you don't want to," I told her, smiling awkwardly.

"No, I should. If I don't, he'll hunt me down." Her accented voice had me convinced that what she was saying was true. I nodded and she took a seat at the table. "What does he have you doing?" She gestured to the book.

"I'm learning Latin." More like learning to despise it but I didn't think she wanted to know that.

"Oh yes, he mentioned that." She nodded. "He also mentioned that you're the pregnant human who's been heartbroken over your vampire leaving you." Did she have to be so blunt?

"Uh, yeah. Minus the heartbroken part." I confirmed.

"No, you reek of sadness. You're still heartbroken." She clarified.

"Well, I think I'm done for today." I glared at her. I closed the book and stood up.

"What, you don't want a little company?" She was teasing me, I knew she was. I scoffed and picked up the book, holding it to my chest.

"Not if the company's going to have an attitude problem the whole time." She rose an eyebrow but I wasn't backing down.

"Well, maybe it's your hospitality that has me hostile?" She suggested with a smirk.