fourteen

To say things were starting to become awkward would be an understatement. Bella arrived a few minutes after I did and from the look on Billy's face, it was easy to see that he wasn't pleased with either of our drivers. Charlie had started the conversation but Bella and I tried to stay out of it.

"Well let's go inside, the game is going to start soon." Charlie opened the front door and after Jake wheeled Billy through the rest of us followed.

"Are you hungry?" Bella asked randomly as she eyed the three men in front of us.

"No, we ate before we came." Jake smiled shyly at her. Bella nodded and turned to Dad who nodded and with that, she shuffled into the kitchen to make dinner.

"How was school, Clary?" Dad asked. I turned to him but I could still feel Billy's glare piercing through me.

"It was fine, I passed my math test." I smiled briefly. He smiled proudly at me and I turned my gaze to glance at the small watch I was wearing. "Well if you excuse me, I gotta go change." I gave them a small smile before walking to the stairs.

"Where are you going?" Dad asked and I mentally cursed as I spun around to face him.

"Oh um I have an art project to finish and I'm meeting up with my partner so we can complete it." He nodded, content with my answer and I spun back around and practically ran up the stairs. Once I was in my room, I stripped out of my school clothes and put on a simple outfit that consisted of black leggings, a black tank top with a white oversized sweater. Just as I had slipped my black converse onto my feet, my phone beeped.

'I'm outside babe.' Read the simple text from Emmett. I smiled and quickly typed a response before heading downstairs with my backpack over my shoulders.

"Bye Dad." I pecked his cheek and quickly gave Billy and Jake side hugs before bolting out of the house. I closed the door behind me and released a breath that I had unknowingly held in.

"Boo." I yelped and turned around but smiled as I saw Emmett standing next to me with a smirk on his pale face.

"You scared me." I couldn't help but smile as he reached out and grasped my hand. He pulled me around to the back of the house and I looked at him questioningly. He just grinned and pulled me until we reached the tree line.

"Get on." He bent down and I easily hopped onto his back. "Close your eyes." I did so silently as my arms tightened around his neck. I waited for him to say something else but he didn't and all of a sudden I felt a big gust of wind blow through my hair. Before I could open my eyes to take in everything that we passed, I felt him come to a stop. "You can open them now."

I opened my eyes and we now stood in front of his house facing the back door. I untangled myself from him and I hopped down from his back. "Thanks for the ride." I chuckled.

"Anytime." He smirked. He grabbed my hand and laced his fingers with mine as we walked up the steps to his backdoor. He slid the glass door open and led me inside.

"Clary!" I was immediately engulfed in a tight hug and after I got over the initial shock of it, I slowly wrapped my arms around the person who turned out to be Alice. "You looked so cute at school today! You have to go shopping with Rosalie and me." She gushed.

"Thank you." I smiled and I felt my cheeks heat up. "And sure, id love to. I need a new jacket anyway." She squealed and clapped her hands excitedly after she released me.

"Come on, Esme made you dinner." She smiled and dragged me away from Emmett. "Wait." She halted and slipped my backpack off of my shoulders and chucked it at Emmett. "Go put that somewhere." She dismissed me before dragging me once again. She pulled me into the kitchen and sat me down at the table where a plate of food is already set.