seventeen

He loved me.

He said he loved me.

But he didn't even realize he said it. He just - he just said it. He said the one thing that made my heart race and he doesn't even realize he said it. Or maybe he does. But it didn't matter, Emmett Cullen had only confused me more.

The usually noisy ride was silent this time. Which only made my thoughts louder. I could feel his thumb rub my thigh absentmindedly as he rested his hand on it and that made my heart pound like King Kong. His hand gave my thigh a small squeeze before letting it go as he parked the jeep. We climbed out silently and he blurred to my side and placed his hand in mine. His palm rested against mine and the touch of his cold skin sent a shiver down my spine.

I shook it off as we walked up the steps to his house. He opened the door for me and like before I was met with the smell of food. I sniffed and smiled a bit as it hit me. He clutched my hand again and we ascended the stairs leading to the second floor.

"Hello, Clary." Esme greeted me as she stood by the stove stirring what she was cooking.

"Hello." I smiled at her. I let go of Emmett's hand and went to hug her. I could feel her tense up in surprise but then she instantly relaxed and wrapped her arms around me. "How are you today?" I asked as we both pulled away.

"Fine thank you." She smiled and went to a cabinet and pulled a plate out of it. "How are you?"

"Fine also," I replied. "What have you made? It smells delicious."

"Beef and Broccoli. Carlisle said that you might have mentioned your craving for Chinese to him, so I made this." She let out a small laugh and I did also. "Here you go." She handed me the plate stacked with food and I happily grabbed it from her. I grabbed the fork that she held in her other hand and went to the table. As I sat down, I glanced around and noticed it was only the two of us that were in the room.

"So Clary, how is everything going?" Esme asked conversationally as she sat in front of me.

"Fine, I suppose." I shrugged. "School's okay, and so is everything else."

"Well, that's good." She commented. "And how are things with Emmett." My eyes widened and I remembered what happened earlier in the car. "Oh no, what'd he do?" She chuckled.

"Well it's nothing bad but it sure did confuse the heck out of me." I chuckled and put my fork onto the plate.

"I thought I sensed boy problems." Alice giggled as she walked into the kitchen, Rosalie in tow. "What's going on?"

"What did the oaf do this time?" Rosalie rolled her eyes and sat beside me.

"Well we were in his jeep and we were talking about the safety of seatbelts and he mumbled about that being one of the reasons he loved me," I explained.

"And then what?" Alice had a smile on her face as she leaned toward me slightly.

"That's it."

"That's it?" Rosalie asked. "He is a dumbass."

"Rosalie." Esme scolded.

"But it's the truth, Esme." Alice giggled. "He didn't say anything else?" I shook my head. "He is dumber than we thought."

"Girls." Esme scolded again. "But Clary, that is all that was said?" I nodded my head. "Did you say anything?" I shook my head. "Well, I think that maybe you should talk to him about it."

"I disagree." Rosalie chuckled. "I think you should let me and Alice talk to him, we'll clear it up for you." She smiled as she looked at me.

"No," Esme warned. "All you two will do is hit him, that's not the way to solve things."

"But it's fun." Alice grinned but pouted after Esme shot her a glare. "We could get Dom and Jasper to talk to him?" She suggested.

"Now that is a good idea." Esme smiled. "Go do that and while you're doing that Clary can finish her food..." She trailed off as she glanced at my plate which was now empty. "Or while she finishes her second serving." She laughed as I smiled sheepishly.

The girls left and Esme stood up to get me more food, I just sat at the table sipping on my tea. It was nice to have girl talk and get advice from them. But it only made me miss my mom and Bella more. Mom and I haven't spoken in a few days and I haven't seen Bella at all. We've both been occupied by the new boys in our lives and school that we haven't talked or spent any time together.

"Here you are, dear." Esme placed the plate on the table and I smiled at her in thanks and I was left to my thoughts once again.

Just as I had finished, Emmett strolled into the kitchen. He sent me a small smile as he walked over to me. He reached out for me and I stood up. He pulled me to him and we stood there chest to chest.

"I want to show you something." He murmured to me as he softly traced my cheekbone with his fingers. I nodded and he moved away and led me towards the back door. He opened it and picked me up bridal style. "Close your eyes." I complied and I felt the wind hit me as he ran. When I felt the wind stop biting at my skin, I opened my eyes. We stood at the tree line but in front of us was a thin creek that was surrounded by rocks and wildflowers.

He placed me down and I hesitantly walked towards it. I let out a small gasp as the beauty of the creek was exposed to me. A few small rays of sun seeped through the clouds and shone down on the creek and the area around it. The water was clear and a few small fish swam through the ripples. I bent over it and I could my see reflection but I couldn't see Emmett's. I glanced around and noticed that he stood under the shade of the trees.

"Don't be scared." That was the only thing he said. I turned my body to fully face him as he cautiously walked closer to me. He stepped forward and the sun rays finally hit his skin. His skin sparkled under the sun and I held in a small giggle as a disco ball came to mind. He strode forwards until he was standing in front of me. His eyes were clenched shut and I found myself reaching up to his face. I gently placed my fingertips on his eyelids and his face relaxed as he left my touch.

My fingers trailed down and gently danced across his cheekbone, down to his cheek, until finally my hand was placed on his jaw. He opened his eyes and I smiled at him. His eyes shined brightly under the sun and he wrapped his arms gently around me.

"So should I call you tinker bell now?" I joked and he rolled his eyes though he let out a relieved chuckle.

"No." He deadpanned and his arms tightened around me. I grinned at him as he picked me up and spun me around. He set me back on my feet but didn't release his grip on me. "I love you." He whispered, almost inaudible.

"I love you too." I beamed up at him. His eyes brightened more and he sighed as he leaned down and buried his face in my neck. I felt his lips brush against my skin as he kissed me delicately and I let out a small sigh.

"Can I call you disco ball instead then?"

"No."

====

q & a time!

question: favorite twilight couple?

my answer: Carlisle and Esme 💑