eleven

It was sunny outside. That was the first thing I noticed when I woke up that morning. The sunlight boosted my mood, it made me feel giddy. But despite that, Bella's words from the night before still rang through my mind.

After I had gotten home from my date with Emmett, Bella rushed down from her room and dragged me up to it because she had something important to tell me. She slammed her door after we barged through it and sat me on her bed. She began to explain, while rambling, what she had learned from Jacob Black, our childhood friend.

She said that he told her some legend about "the cold ones" and "werewolves" and how their natural-born enemies. She then went on to explain about some treaty that separated their lands and the entire back story. But it wasn't until I had told her to stop rambling that she finally blurted the most important thing. "The Cullens are vampires." That's what she had learned.

Vampire.

That one word ran through my mind all night long.

As soon as she said it, all the dots connected. Emmett's cold skin, his speed that he used to save me during the accident, his odd-colored eyes, it all made sense with just one word. Vampire. I didn't know what to say to her so I hadn't said anything. I exited her room quietly, went into mine, changed into pajamas, and lay in bed. It was like I had gone into shock, my body and brain were just unresponsive.

I glanced back to the window and decided to get ready for the day we had planned. Dad, Bella, and I were going to a barbecue in LaPush. The three of us had been invited and I wasn't about to turn down the opportunity to see my second family. I dressed simply, seeing as how it was slightly warm outside. I wore a pair of jean shorts with an orange short-sleeved shirt with my black converse. My hair straightener and my make up done minimally like always. I exited my room and walked down the stairs and found Dad and Bella waiting for me in the living room.

I smiled and greeted both of them but I couldn't ignore the wary and suspicious looks Bella kept sending my way. The three of us walked out to the car in silence and made our way to LaPush. The car ride wasn't uncomfortable, the three of us chatted but there was still some tension - mainly between Bella and me. I knew she wanted to know how I felt about it everything, but I couldn't answer her questions if I didn't even know the answers myself.

As we pulled up to Billy's house, there was already a small crowd of people hanging around and talking. Most of them turned as they saw our car pull up but then they smiled when they saw who exited it.

"Clary!" I closed my door and turned around as I heard someone shout my name. My eyes stopped on Billy, who sat in his wheelchair with a giant smile on his face, arms spread open, and a cowboy hat perched on his head.

"Billy!" I shouted excitedly and raced over to him. I felt people watch as I ran to him but I ignored them and continued to race over to my godfather. I gently jumped onto his lap and wrapped my small arms around him as he embraced me. "I haven't seen you since Christmas, how've you been old man?" I teased him.

"Still dancing and doing wheelies." He grinned. "How about you little bug?" Billy started calling me little bug over the summer before my twelfth birthday. Jacob and I were rummaging through some boxes in their shed when I came across Rachel's old ballet costume. It was a little ref leotard covered in black polka dots and attached to it were black wings and a black tutu. I wore that costume every day, only taking it off when it had to be cleaned.

"Still causing mischief." I grinned back at him. He laughed. "Oh but guess what, I made the Forks High cheerleading team. And not to brag or anything but we won the first game of the season on Friday."

"Well then maybe you should come to cheer for the school here on the rez. Maybe then our team will win a game." He winked at me.

"I'll take it into consideration." I poked his cheek and stood up from his lap. "Oh, you remember Bella?" I gestured to my awkward sister who glued herself to Dad's side. "Excuse her, she's shy." I leaned down and whispered to him. He laughed and yanked on a strand of my hair which made me yelp. He smiled and struck up a conversation with her while I glanced around. I smiled kindly at anybody I made eye contact with but it wasn't until I saw the person I wanted to see that I squealed happily.