twenty five

I was running.

That much I knew. I couldn't see where. The sky was dark but I could make out the outline of the trees as I dodged them. I had no idea where I was headed, but I pushed forward. I tripped over a fallen tree and I stumbled into a small clearing. Separating the clearing in half was a small creek. It seemed familiar to me and as I walked toward it, I realized why. But it wasn't how I remembered, this creek was dry of any water. There was no sun shining down on it, it was sad almost.

I heard a twig snap and I snapped my head up. Standing across from me was Jared. His demeanor was stiff, his smile wasn't on his face. His lips were in a tight line and his glare pierced my skin. I felt someone's presence behind me and my eyes widened as I took in Emmett's predatory stance. He was standing on the edge of the tree line but he wasn't focused on me. His dark eyes were glaring at Jared and his fists were clenched tightly by his side.

He didn't even acknowledge me as he took a few cautionary steps forward and snarled at Jared. My eyes flickered back to Jared but I gasped as Jared was no longer there. Instead in his place was a large wolf. The lighting was too dark to determine what color his fur was but his stance matched Emmett's and he returned the snarl.

Jared leaned back and crouched down, ready to pounce. I looked back at Emmett as he crouched down slightly and his face tightened as he growled. I glanced back to Jared and he let out a loud growl as he flung his body into the air. My head snapped to the side as I saw Emmett do the same and I couldn't stop the scream that escaped me as their bodies collided in the air directly above the creek.

It was just a dream.

I sat up in bed panting heavily as that realization came to me. It was nothing but a dream. Jared and Emmett weren't fighting, I wasn't watching helplessly, it wasn't real. But it still haunted me.

I climbed out of bed and headed straight to the bathroom. Once there, I immediately stripped and stepped into the shower. The warm water washed over my skin and I sighed gratefully as it calmed me. Once I was clean, I stepped out and wrapped a towel tightly around me. I quickly walked to my room, avoiding any awkward run-ins with Dad.

I slipped on my bra and underwear before turning to my closet and settling on an outfit. I grabbed my oversized white knit sweater and threw it on my bed. I grabbed a pair of black leggings from my closet and put them on before putting on a plain blank tank top and sliding the sweater on over my head.

My hair was still wet from my shower so I just brushed it and braided it loosely. I slipped on my black converse and grabbed my phone and backpack before heading downstairs.

"Morning." Dad smiled at me. He held Bella's presents in his hand and I grabbed mine from him. Today was her eighteenth birthday and she dreaded this day, which only made it more fun to celebrate it.

"Let's do this." I dumped my bag on the floor and dashed up the stairs to Bella's room. I knocked on the door and headed in after I heard her murmur words. She was sitting up in bed and I so desperately wanted to laugh as her thick brown hair resembled something that a bird would call home. "Happy Birthday loser!" I grinned at her. I plopped down beside her on her bed and ignored the glare she sent me. I placed my neatly wrapped gift in her hand and motioned for her to open it.

She picked at the green wrapping paper cautiously before just tearing a large piece off and tossing it onto the floor. She removed the rest of it before she finally opened the small white box. She lifted the lid and let out a small gasp as she saw the charm bracelet that was inside. She picked it up and observed a few of the charms that I bought for her and smiled at me. "I love it, thanks, Clary." She gave me a small side hug and I helped her put the bracelet on her left wrist.