The Moment of Truth

Silas stands with Morgana as Hunith, Merlin's mother, petitions Uther "The winters are harsh in Ealdor, and there are many children

Silas stands with Morgana as Hunith, Merlin's mother, petitions Uther "The winters are harsh in Ealdor, and there are many children. Some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is, and if Kanen takes our harvest, our children won't live to see another summer. Please, we need your help." she pleads. "Ealdor's in Cenred's kingdom. Your safety is his responsibility." Uther responds. "We've appealed to our King, but he cares little for the outlying regions. You're our only hope." Hunith explains. "I have the deepest sympathy for you and would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the earth." Uther tells her. "You'll help us?" Hunith asks in hope. "I wish I could." Uther responds. "Surely we can spare a few men?" Arthur asks. "Resources are not the problem." Uther tells him. "Then what is?" Morgana asks. "Ealdor lies beyond the Ridge of Essetir. For an army of Camelot to enter it would be an act of war." Uther explains. Hunith drops to her knees "I know you're a good king, a caring man. I'm begging you, help us, please." she pleads. "The accord we've struck with Cenred was years in the making. I cannot risk hundreds of lives for the sake of one village. I'm afraid Camelot cannot help." Uther tells her. Morgana and Silas glare at Uther before helping Hunith up and leading her out "I'm sorry my Father is not helping you and your village." Silas tells her. "Thank you my Lord, I'm thankful that I got an audience at all." Hunith smiles. "Merlin isn't just Arthur and I's manservant, he's also a friend." Silas responds. "To both of us." Morgana adds making Hunith smile even more.

Later that morning Silas goes up to the battlements and stands with Arthur as they look over the city, soon after Merlin joins them "I'm sorry. If it were up to either of us, we'd be on our way there now." Arthur tells him. "You tried. And thank you for getting an audience with the King." Merlin responds. "I wish that Camelot was able to help people regardless of how far away they lived." Silas sighs. "I'm going back to Ealdor." Merlin pipes up. "Of course." Arthur nods. "It's been an honour serving you both." Merlin tells them. "You'll be coming back." Silas says looking at him. "Well, she's my mother. I have got to look after her before anyone else. You understand?" Merlin asks. "I'd do exactly the same." Silas assures him looking down slightly. "As would I. Well, you've been terrible. Really, I mean it. The worst servant I've ever had." Arthur smiles. "Thank you, Sire." Merlin smiles before turning to leave. "Merlin." Silas calls making him stop "Good luck." he tells him making Merlin nod.

" he tells him making Merlin nod