The Witchfinder

Silas stands next to Arthur as they listen to Cathryn, a peasant, talk to their father and the court "It was sorcery you saw, and you're certain of it?" Uther asks

Silas stands next to Arthur as they listen to Cathryn, a peasant, talk to their father and the court "It was sorcery you saw, and you're certain of it?" Uther asks. "Yes, Sire." Cathryn responds. "And you swear this before your King?" Uther asks. "I swear it." Cathryn swears. "Perhaps your eyes deceived you, a trick of the light." Arthur suggests. "The smoke was alive, I tell you. I feared for my life." Cathryn tells them. "I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Your loyalty will not go unrewarded." Uther tells the woman. "Thank you, Sire." Cathryn responds, a knight escorting her out. "It cannot continue." Uther says. "I will hunt down those responsible, Father. I promise they will not escape unpunished." Arthur assures him, both he and Silas taking note of the slightly guilty look on Merlin's face. "No. Stronger methods are called for. Send for the Witchfinder." Uther decides, Silas paling as several Courtiers gasp. "Sire, is it necessary to resort to such measures?" Gaius asks, concern on his face. "The Witchfinder is a trusted ally, Gaius. His help will be invaluable." Uther responds. "Of course." Gaius nods.

Silas immediately goes to his room and gathers all his books and magical things in a bag, a knock on the door interrupting him "Who is it?" Silas asks. "Me." Arthur responds. Silas sighs in relief "You can come in Arthur." he tells his brother. Arthur walks in and takes note of the bag "Come on, I know some places you can hide it." he tells him. Silas nods and follows Arthur out, the bag over his shoulder. The two brothers head through the castle to an abandoned floor "We can use one of these rooms, no one comes down here anymore." Arthur tells him. Silas nods and walks into one of the rooms, going over to the fireplace "What are you doing?" his brother asks. "Hold this a second." Silas tells him, passing him the bag. Arthur takes the bag as Silas climbs into the fireplace, sticking the top half of his body up the chimney and removing a few of the stones from the interior "Pass the bag here." Silas tells Arthur, putting a hand out for the bag. Arthur passes it to him, Silas putting the bag in the hole he made before putting the stones back and climbing out the fireplace "Hidden?" Arthur asks. "Yeah." Silas nods, brushing the soot out his hair.

That night, Silas follows his father and Arthur into the Council Chamber "So where's he been all this time?" Arthur asks. "In foreign lands. Wherever the pursuit of sorcery takes him." Uther responds. "He does all this in your name?" Arthur asks their father. "The Witchfinder serves no one. He's a law unto himself." Uther tells him. "Do you smell it? Do you smell it, Uther?" Aredian asks. "Aredian." Uther greets. "It's all around us, the foul stench of sorcery. It's infected your great city like a contagion." Aredian tells him. "I welcome you to Camelot, Aredian. Thank you for making such haste to be here." Uther tells the man. "Well, let's hope I'm not too late, hmm? For every hour counts in the war against sorcery. Unchecked, it spreads like a disease. It seeks out the young and the old, the weak and the able, the fair and the foul of heart alike. You've grown lazy, Uther. You've grown idle. Your once noble Camelot is rotten to the core. You stand on the brink of dark oblivion." Aredian says. "I am at your disposal, Aredian. The knights will aid you in any way they can." Arthur tells him.