The Poisoned Chalice

Silas stands next to his brother as Bayard and his men arrive in Camelot

Silas stands next to his brother as Bayard and his men arrive in Camelot. They meet in the Throne Room where Uther greets them. "Camelot welcomes you, Lord Bayard of Mercia. The treaty we sign today marks an end to war and a beginning to a new friendship between our people." Uther says. Uther and Bayard grasp arms making both groups applaud. Silas spots a dark haired girl smiling at him making him feel cautious of her.

Later he sits in Arthur's chamber as Merlin sets down Arthur's clothes for the feast. Merlin steps back and covers his face "When's the last time these were cleaned?" he asks. "Last year some time. Before the Feast of Beltane." Arthur tells him. "Did it end in a food fight?" Merlin questions. "Don't all feasts?" Silas asks. "I wouldn't know. The airs and graces of the court are a mystery to me." Merlin responds. "Not after tonight they won't be." Arthur tells him. "I'm going to be at the banquet?" Merlin asks. "Not quite. You'll be there to make sure our cups don't run dry. If we have to sit through Bayard's boring speeches, we don't see why you should get out of it. Be sure to polish the buttons." Arthur says passing the jacket to Merlin. "Do you want to see what you'll be wearing tonight?" Silas asks making Arthur wink at him. "Won't this do?" Merlin asks. "No. Tonight you'll be wearing the official ceremonial robes of the servants of Camelot." Silas tells him as Arthur holds them up for Merlin to see. "You can't be serious." Merlin tells them making Silas smile.

Silas and Arthur stand either side of Uther as he signs the treaty

Silas and Arthur stand either side of Uther as he signs the treaty. Once it is signed Uther grasps arms with Bayard making the crowd applaud. Silas walks to the table and sits by Arthur as Bayard starts his speech. "People of Camelot, for a great many years we have been mortal enemies, and the blood of our men stains the ground from the walls of Camelot to the gates of Mercia. And though we remember those who have died, we must not allow any more to join them." he starts. A serving girl brings in a box and stands next to Bayard. "As a symbol of our goodwill, and of our newfound friendship, I present these ceremonial goblets to you, Uther, and to your sons, Arthur and Silas, in the hope that our friendship may last." Bayard continues. The three goblets get filled with wine and given to the three Pendragon's. "Tonight we toast a new beginning for our peoples. We look towards a future free from the toils of war. And may the differences from our past remain there. To your health, Uther." Bayard starts toasting making everyone stand. "Arthur. Silas. The Lady Morgan. The people of Camelot." Bayard continues to toast. "And to fallen warriors on both sides." Uther adds. Silas drinks his wine as Merlin runs in. "Stop! It's poisoned! Don't drink it!" he says grabbing Arthur's goblet. "What?" Uther asks. "Merlin, what are you doing?" Arthur questions. "Bayard laced Arthur's goblet with poison." Merlin explains. "This is an outrage!" Bayard exclaims. Bayard and his men draw their swords, as do the knights of Camelot. "Order your men to put down their swords." Uther says as Camelot guards rush in. "You are outnumbered." Uther tells him. "I will not allow this insult to go unchallenged!" Bayard retorts.